Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ETAP Single Line Diagram

Status
Not open for further replies.

akhtarbiqadri1

Electrical
Jan 23, 2024
ID
I'm trying to understand this single line diagram (HEPP) by doing it on ETAP. However, I find it difficult to translate this file into ETAP. For example, I can't find NGR, DS, GCB, SA, the diode rectifier thingy on exciter, and so on. Do you have any tips for me? TIA

messageImage_1705982205467_ziwrhz.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are circuit breakers and switches you can put in. DS, ES, GCB is just the code they are being called.

NGR is neutral grounding and it's settings in the transformer data or generator data.

I believe the exciter is part of the motor data.

The main transformer appears to have surge arrestors and a parallel switch grounding the neutral. I don't believe you can model that in Etap.

ETAP similar to other software is a tool. So you should be trained how to use it.
Trial & error will not work and takes lot of time.
Since it is tool only, you may not be able to mirror image your single line diagram on ETAP and any other similar software.

I don't think sticking a single line diagram in ETAP (or any computer aided design and analysis program for that matter) will get you very far in learning about electrical power components. If you happen to select the correct component, you would need to then add necessary parameters. This presumes the modeler knows the theory behind them. I think you'd have a lot better luck doing research online, IEEE, senior peers, etc.

akhtar: Try the following YouTube video link which talks about including various protective devices in an ETAP model. All of the devices listed below require the appropriate data (which may be simple rating data, but may also be far more complex) included as part of the model. I believe that all are available in ETAP, with "blank" templates.

The one-line diagram provided is basically indicating that a 53.7 kVA generator that DOES NOT have the capability of black start (the excitation is fed only from the generator output, not a switchable/optional battery backup) with an output of 11 kV is stepped up to the paired 150 kV transmission busses through a step up transformer. The transformer has both an upstream (generator side) and downstream (utility side) breaker. There is a power take-off from these distribution busses through another breaker to a substation (Cianjur).

It would also appear that there is another "local" 11 kV load somewhere off to the right of what is shown in the OPs print, as designated by the single line heading to the right from the "GCB Cubicle" device grouping.

From the top of the one line, the following devices are included:
Qty 3 SA (surge arrestors) rated 138 kV, 10 kA
Qty 1 ES (earthing switch)
Qty 1 DS (disconnect switch) rated 170 kV, 3150 A
Qty 1 GCB (gas circuit breaker) rated 170 kV, 3150 A continuous, 40 kA make/break
Qty 2 DS (disconnect switch) rated 170 kV, 3150 A ... one to each transmission bus
Qty 2 DS (disconnect switch) rated 170 kV, 1600 A ... one to each transmission bus
Qty 1 GCB (gas circuit breaker) rated 170 kV, 1600 A continuous, 40 kA make/break
Qty 3 SA (surge arrestors) rated 138 kV, 10 kA
Qty 1 main transformer rated 53.7 kVA, 150/11 kV, YNd1 with both a fused (72 kV, 10 kA) and switched (72 kV, 600A) connection to neutral
A breaker "cubicle" (labelled incorrectly as a "GCB" cubicle) which contains:
... Qty 1 VCB (vacuum circuit breaker) rated 17.5 kV, 3150 A continuous, 50 kA make/break
... Qty 2 ES (earth switch)
An exciter transformer "cubicle" which contains:
... Qty 1 exciter transformer (no rating data or connection)
... Qty 1 rotating rectifier (this is a set of diodes, thyristors, resistors, and control modules mounted directly on the generator)
The generator itself
A neutral grounding "cubicle" which contains:
... Qty 1 NGTR (neutral grounding transformer) rated 75 kVA, 6.4/0.24 kV
... Qty 1 NGR (neutral grounding resistor) rated 1 ohm able to carry 241 A for 30 sec

Converting energy to motion for more than half a century

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back