Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Etching Issues!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaserSpyder

Materials
Jun 4, 2014
US
we have an issue with the etching we do on our steel, the etching comes out great but we always get splatter on our lens wich shortens the life of the lens does anyone have good etching conditions they could share??? im cutting Aluminum now but when i get a steel etch job im going to play with the nozzle gap to see if i could keep a good etch and reduce the splatter.................Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What thickness of steel are you using
what i have set on my 2k trumpf laser for etching is as follows

nozzle standoff .2000in.
laser power 160w
gating freq 1000hz
speed 150.0 in/min
gas pressure 2.0bar

i use this on thin 20 gauge steel

I just started to do etching so I'll give you what work not too bad now. I'm not finished to experiment but this is what I am now.

Power: 200
Nozzle stand off: .1700
Feedrate: 35in/min (huge difference with lasercutpaul, and I tried that speed but there was
sparkles a lot.. it is very small letters too.)
Pressure: 6 bar was the best result
Nozzle: #1
Type of focal lens: 125mm
Focal distance: -3...or -4...not sure only by memory (more sure -4)

Seem to be enought deep. The letters and the logo are very clear. The only thing is the speed... why such a big difference with laserpaul. Maybe depends how big your letters or drawings are! Anyhow let keep in touch so we gone progress faster. Hope I helped you.

it also could be the thickness of the steel. i looked at my tech tables for aluminum and this is what i have, but i have never used them i gave you for mild steel.

this would be 14 gu al cutting with shop air

nozzle .200in
laser power 260w
gatting 200hz
speed 100in/min
gas 2.0bar

mine is a trumpf 2030 laser unsure which type you are using. i always had to modify the standard tech tables but if you are getting good results then go with it. etching and marking are always slower then your usual cutting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back