Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ethernet speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

OEMsparky

Electrical
Jan 5, 2000
What influences the speed of ethernet?  I hooked up two computers for file transfer using a simple peer to peer connection with 2 10Mb/s ethernet cards.  The file transfer was no faster than using a serial cable and communicating at 115200bps.  Is ethernet communicating slower without a hub or what other possible reasons are there for not getting anywhere close to the expected 10Mb/s?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The transfer rate would be affected by the computing power to the two computers, the Ethernet adapter cards, the card configurations, and most important, what protocol you use for the file transfer. If you believe that the two CPUs can support the full 10Mbps and that the network interface cards (NICs) can too then try setting the two NICs for full duplex. Belive it or not, you could be getting a lot of collisions with this simple configuration if the NICs are set to half duplex.

I agree with ERN, see the 10 MBPS is the bandwidth of the media, it doesn't mean that this BW will fully utilize by one PC. The bandwidth utilization depends upon the processing power of CPU, Protocol & NIC setting. <br><br>The analogy is BIG pipe can't be chocked with narrow stream of water, you have to have BIGGER pipe to chocke that, right.If want to test this do same file transfer using older pc(say 486).<br><br>If you are using TCP/IP protocol, the TCP calculates tasfer speed by seeing RTT (Round Trip Time), acknowledgement, window size. If you are using windows OS, than one entry need to be done in the registry to set this window size. I forgot the exact setting, I guess it is written in my diary ?. <br><br>NOTE :- When you are doing file transfer do with big file (size in MBs).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back