Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

european salaries 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARenko

Mechanical
Jan 30, 2001
US
Anyone know a website with engineering salaries in Europe? Something like salary.com? I can't seem to find anything. I've got an offer in Paris, which is low per my manager friend at the company (and per me for that matter) and I need some backup, without using him.

Or, any Europeans or expats out there have any idea? I'm considering a local contract. I'm an ME with 10 yrs experience. The industry is Marine/ Oil & Gas.

TIA,
djv

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Whilst I would not word it as strongly as Greg, I would agree with what he says just about every job in Europe will have a salary range, unless you plan to spend all day asking people “would you like fries with that”.

Also it is misleading to convert from pounds or Euros into dollars, unless you are looking at a short term contract, you really have to look at how long will I have to work to buy a gallon of fuel, buy the weekly shop, pay the rent, that kind of thing.

I believe someone came up with the idea of a “basket of goods” to compare the cost of living in different countries.

Where are you looking Greg? I've seen a lot of adverts for jobs in the EU, but not many mention a salary range. Seems a lot of the UK jobs have a salary range, but I don't normally look at those because I'm looking for something more centrally located.

does anyone know-
do european companies put heavy emphasis on accedited pieces of paper, or is the job market more skill based?

any good european catia job search sites? i'd love to see the world

nadz

Those jobs that don't offer a salary range will be on the minimum wage or you've applied to be a bricklayer, or construction engineer as they're called. You may see a job offered at a salary 'up to' xxxx euros, but that upper value on the salary will only be paid if you work there for 100 years and bring both parents each day to work. You'll never see an advert saying 'salaries starting from as little as ....', strangely.

corus

Still not what I'm seeing except as I mentioned for the UK offers, which often seem to give salary ranges. From the openings I've seen for other european countries most do not list salary and many are for experienced personnel (5 yrs or more with specific skills required).

nad3ooo

I have'nt worked in Europe (UK) for 38 years so don't take what I am saying as gospel. I do know that in any European country if one is in Sructural, Civil for example, they do want pieces of paper in the form of an engineering licence just as they do in North America.
However, if you are industry exempt, just like North America, your pieces of paper become less important than skills and experience as time goes on. I cant remember the last time I was asked to show any credentials after having a few years experience in the workplace. Reputation follows you around and that's what generally counts. I found that after a while, a prospective employer didn't care if I went to MIT or the School of Hard Knocks as long as I did the job to the best of my ability and met his expectations.

I'm assuming you are young and this is begining to sound like an old man lecture. If you are serious about Europe, go for it. If you are using CATIA, I could also assume that you are in aircraft and there are lots of good oportunities in France for one place. Have you read the articles about Airbus leaving Boeing behind in the design and global sales of commercial aircraft. It can only do you more good than harm. Another good thing since the European Union is that most people apparently speak English as a second language which also removes a big barrier. Good Luck!

I would second everything Haggis has said.

Airbus is a major employer and are usually looking for workers and the base is in Toulouse. Toulouse is a great city and being the home of Airbus has a very multi-national feel to it, might be worth looking into.

Also a great location for travel and ideally located near the Alps if skiing is your thing.

A lot of French aerospace companies are located in Toulouse. MicroTurbo (TurboMecha). The added bonus is the Tour de France goes through that town.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 2.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NIVIDA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Do you trust your intuition or go with the flow?

Read before you write faq731-376

Toulouse is a very attractive town, I wouldn't mind living there. However, I believe that for Airbus that's where the shiny-bums work, the engineering is done elsewhere.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

thanks guys for all the great advice...

haggis- i didnt feel like i was getting an old man lecture, i am always open to advice... you are right though, i am young in my field...working as a tool designer in the aerospace industry...

as far as france goes-i think i would really rather be in germany i think...(Diamler-Chrysler, BMW maybe?)

the UK would be cool...

i just bought a house, so i dont think i will be doing any serious travelling anytime soon...but if i were going to go somewhere, and i could make fat cash overseas, why not see the world while i work...ya know?

nadz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back