Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

European Valve Standards ax opposed to Asme Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

YETI123

Materials
Mar 24, 2023
GB
Hi Guys Im new here.
I'm after some specification info on valve various Gate Globe Ball Check etc.
Can anyone give me the EN / ISO equivalents for a few valve standards in particular Gate valves up to DN 40 (I think its BS EN 15761) Gate valves above 50 and above same for Globe valves (both os&y bolted bonnet stainless steel) Thanks.
I've Checked in EN 13480 (Equivalent of ASME B31.3) for what valve standards are applicable, but there is nothing specific there.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I worked in the Netherlands back about 10 years ago for a while. What I recall is that clients specifications typically refered to US standards for valves with references to British Standard equivalents (BS). I don't think at that time there were EN standards developed for valves. Perhaps now their are some developed?

hello,

your question is not really clear, what are you looking for? material, dimension, face to face, wall thickness, etc.?
Below is general guidance
Pressure temperature rating use B16.34
Gate, globe check - API 602
Gate - API 600, API 603, IOGP S-611
Globe - API 623
Check - API 594
Ball - API 6D, ISO 17292, IOGP S-562

For oil&gas end user, there is a drive to use IOGP (International Association of Oil&Gas Producer) more and more. It is work in progress.
I work for Dutch end user which have several pipeline connection to other end user in Belgium, Benelux and Germany

There are several local governing codes as well, but this has marginal to no impact for valve's design.

Regards,
D

Hi Danlap, what I require is the general European Design standard, according to EN / BS EN / Iso for eg, BS for Globe Valves is ASME BS 1873, what is EN or ISO standard for the same Valve(EN 15761 covers Valves up to DN 100 what about above this size) . I need the same info for Gate (EN 15761 covers Valves up to DN 100, what about above this size.), also Wafer Check, Piston Check (EN 15761 covers Valves up to DN 100 what about above this size) I believe ISO 17292 covers Ball Valves. Do you know of a Document that I can refer to BS versus EN Standards. Thanks

Sorry, Cannot help, since I believe there is no such (conversion) document.
All standards are practically complementing each other. Some are more conservative compared to the others, and end-user’s principal to address whether the gap is marginal or not. In the end, what is more available in the market, are the ones that we are going for (in the case ASME/API/etc.)
For any valves within the fence of end user, in Netherlands, are more and more heading towards this direction. I work in refinery which used to have DIN, JIS, BS, ASME, Stoomwezen (old Dutch standard), etc. now we are synchronizing towards ASME and IOGP.
For pipeline and valves which are outside the fence (public domain) then usually it is governed by local rules. In NL and BE, we use NEN. But this also in my opinion has marginal deviation with regards to ISO.
3-5 years ago, or more, some may argue that one standard is better then other (comparable) standard. This practice has hurt End-User commercially for decades, hence IOGP was initiated.
My advice is to answer the question first: which industry (Oil/gas, pharma, dairy, etc.)? which country (UK, Europe mainland, Scandinavian)? Which domain (inside end user territory or public domain)?

Suggest buying the standards that you’re looking for, there are reasons why it is written in multiple pages. And why last page is always written as ‘Bibliography’ and not ‘Supplementary’.
Cherry picking one paragraph from one standard and use another para from different standard will eventually create confusion.

Bibliography of ISO 17292 below. not even mention any BS or EN standard:
ISO 4200, Plain end steel tubes, welded and seamless ʊ General tables of dimensions and masses per unit length
ISO 5211, Industrial valves ʊ Part-turn actuator attachments
ISO 7121, Metal ball valves for general-purpose industrial applications
ISO 10434, Bolted bonnet steel gate valves for the petroleum, petrochemical and allied industries
ISO 14313, Petroleum and natural gas industries ʊ Pipeline transportation systems — Pipeline valves
ISO 15761, Steel gate, globe and check valves for sizes DN 100 and smaller, for the petroleum and natural gas industries
API Standard 608, Metal ball valves ʊ Flanged, threaded and welding end
ASME B16.11, Forged fittings, socket-welding and threaded
ASME B16.25, Buttwelding ends
ASME B36.10, Welded and seamless wrought steel pipe

goodluck
regards,
D

I think this is industry dependent.

I worked in O&G and here US standards are widely used both for valves and flanges.

I now work in food additive manufacturing and here we (almost) never use a US standard but DIN/EN/ISO all the way. I say almost because the "old" engineers usually refer for AISI 316L (almost the only material we use) instead of EN4404. But when we order its EN4404.

--- Best regards, Morten Andersen

You have alreedy got a lot of information. The question from my side is what you need the information for. You would probavly get better answers if we knew the purpose of the comparisons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back