Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EV Charging Risk Category for Wind? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDR89

Structural
Apr 25, 2022
US
Hi friends, wanted to get y'all's opinions on what risk category should be used for wind for EV chargers? There's no standard across where I work and I've seen Risk Category I and II used. I am torn because I do think they meet the requirements of RC I but I can also see RC II being applicable.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your client will want you to use whatever it takes to get the most economical design. Should a wind event damage the EV charger - their insurance company will hire an expert to say with high levels of confidence it should have been designed to the strictest standard possible.

I'd lean towards Risk Category 2, but if I went to RC 1 I'd want to have it agreed to in writing by the client. Hard to believe that the change from 1 to 2 would have a significant impact on the design of these elements.

It doesn't significantly but it will affect design wind speed considerations in certain regions and we're trying to design standardized products for them to be used in certain regions, so from that aspect it will have some impact on what we offer and where

To EV drivers, a charging station is just as important as a gas station to ICE (internal combustion engine) drivers. I would put both (EV charging and gas station) in the same risk category... whatever that is.

Edit: Gas stations are recommended for Risk Category II, per page 5 of this US National Institute of Standards & Technology (NIST) document.

The stated reason is because of importance of fuel supply to the community.

Just an EIT here but I've done a fair amount of foundation engineering on signs (monument/wall/pole). We have always made monument signs RC 2. (though we are in florida and whatever we design will surely see a hurricane in its lifetime) If these are standardized products, I would certainly go with 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back