Evaluating 3d software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qube

Mechanical
Jan 17, 2004
BE
Hello,

This is my Prob. Today we're still using IV 5.3. They promised us a full capable mechanical software, We recieved an unstable software, missing some of the needed tools to create mechanical drawings. Buying IV was not an "ROI" for us, instead it was/is an huge cost. We're missing perfomance on Drafting. It's so sloooooooo ;-). We stoped the subscrition because we didn't feel we recieved "the perfect software" the reseller sold/told us. Anyway I don't want to argue the performance of IV.

At the moment we evaluated the following 3d- software (added some comments ;-)

SW 2004: Very Nice on 3d, looks like IV 30. But They crashed 2 times when generating a section view of a very large assembly :-(. Now this was hot issue for us, since we missing performance on 2d...when i look @ SW I see the same graphical slowness on 2d, it's so slow with huge drawings/sections.

Wildfire: User friendely...Am I missing something? Drafting mode is still in 2000/i²/1 lay-out. It's more powerfull on generating drawings and section views. But it's so hard to use :-(

Solid designer: Not very known...nice 2d performance because it doesn't use parameters. It's like autocad 3d, but "more" user friendly. by saying more it doesn't mean it is. It requires like 15 clicks te generate a bom. you can't update so everytime--->15 clik's :-(

Catia: Very nice user friendly (like SW), But it seems missing some perfomance on 2d (strange, i thought it was Top of the top?). But it's the most expensive CAD

Conclusion: In general i'm missing some performance in generating drawings. It take ages to generate section/views and when it's there, you can't handel the drawing in smooth way (pan/zoom).

2d is just like something extra when you listing to those people (reseller) talking. Oh yeah drafting, ok "look al automatic". but who needs 2d soon it'll be all 3d????

So at the end I've got more questions then answers. Is there a software good for us? If i don't forget i'll post a typical autocad-drawing of us. I'm not sure if i can make the same in today's software????

Kind regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try Rhinoceros. There's an evaluation copy of the program that you can use for 30 drawings only. I'm no expert on 3D CAD packages but it's free to try.

corus

Yes.

How large are your assemblies?
Number of individual components and total components.

One of our divisions lookked Iv2, but went with Pro/E.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Number of individual components: 300-500
Total components: 2000-3000 parts (mostley devided in 7-9 assemblies).

Kind regards.

Qube

I use proe, it works ok on large assemblies. When you now it it's easy to use but needs some learning. To draw on 2D I use curves with the powerfull sketcher in 3D and show it in 2D (good acotation).

I've also used solid edge, in 2D-drawing it would be probably the most versatile and powerfull but forget about using large assemblies. UG 2D has nothing to see with it (they are from same soft house)

Rhinoceros it's not what you are looking for.

hope it helps

Pascual wrote:
UG 2D has nothing to see with it (they are from same soft house)

I will tell that the only connection between the software development teams of UG and Solid Edge is the parent company. Solid Edge is developed in Huntsville, Al since it was purchased from Intergraph. UG is developed in Cypress, CA, St. Louis, MO, Cambridge, UK, Sweeden, Germany and a few other places. SDRC (Cincinatti, OH) and UG have combined their development efforts in the NX product line.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back