Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Evaporation rate 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mereaux

Materials
Aug 30, 2004
FR
Hello Everybody,

I am working on powder deposition with a solvent which evaporates. I have to change the actual solvent by another, which evaporates slower.
I have datasheets of the two solvents, it is indicated the evaporation rate and also a reference BUOAC=1. I do not understand what it means, how I can compare the two solvents, and how is done this measurement. Anyone have an idea? Can I take this rates and just say that one is 40 (by comparaison of the given rate ) time slower to evaporate?

Thank you.

Mereaux

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The usual standard is butyl acetate = 1. That seems to be fairly close match to BUOAC. I would use a correlation which uses vapour pressure, temperature, wind or ventilation conditions, and possibly humidity, to determine the evaporation rates in #/min/sq ft or the units of your choice. However the 40:1 approach may be OK as a first approximation.

HAZOP at

OWG,

Thank you very much for your quick answer!
What do you mean by correlation? Do you know such correlation available for all solvent?
Could you explain me it?

thank you.

Mereaux

Mereaux:

You can find evaporation rate correlations you want by visiting either www.air-dispersion.com/msource.html (in metric units) or www.air-dispersion.com/usource.html (in the customary USA units).

For either of the above, select "Evaporation From A Non-boiling Pool" and you will find three alternative methods for the calculating the evaporation rate of liquid pools or liquids in roofless tanks. The key parameters are vapor pressure of the liquid, temperature of the liquid, and the velocity of air movement across the surface of the liquid.

Milton Beychok
(Contact me at www.air-dispersion.com)

mbeychok,

Thanks for the reference, I was looking for a formula for an evaporation rate of a surface spill.

This should work out fine for me.

Thanks!

Why do today what you can put off till tomorrow?

Unless, today is your yesterday's tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back