Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Evaporative cooler - is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuanMC

Mechanical
Dec 20, 2006
CO
Hi!

I want to build an evaporative cooler to increase the efficiency of an HEX (shell & tubes). I was checking the ambiental studies and found the average relative humidity of this area: 81 to 92%.

¿Could I work with an evaporative cooler? I was checking psychrometric charts and the difference between DB temp and WB temp is around 1 or 2°C, taking the relative humidity to 100%. Still, it's very easy and cheap to install the evaporative cooler.

An evaporative cooler could reach 100% HR?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

...can't "get there" from here! Aspen/excelsior pad coolers can only achieve about 85-90% saturation efficiency (Es), not 100% as you're seeking. Newer celdek-type coolers can do 90-95% but must use much higher airflow rates (and Es goes DOWN as airflow goes UP).

...evaporative coolers do NOT work well when DEW POINT temp is greater than 55%...yes, they'll still work SOMEWHAT, but it's a "diminishing returns" situation.

The greater the delta relative humidity, the greater cooling capacity of the evaporative heater. As your ambient relative humidity approaches 100%, your cooling capacity approaches 0.

I think that is what 70AARCUDA was refering to in his "diminishing returns" comment.

Reidh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back