Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Ever feel like you're in over your head? 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradpa77

Mechanical
Feb 23, 2006
US

I'm having one of those days where I just feel inadequate for my job. I just feel like all of this engineering stuff is too much for my somewhat feeble brain. I'm not contemplating a career move or anything but I just get like this sometimes. I just feel like I've gotten myself in over my head. I was never a straight "a" student in high school and I kind of fell into engineering by mistake while I was looking for a major change in college. I worked my butt off to finish with good grades and land a job but sometimes I just can't shake the feeling that I'm not smart enough for this line of work.

Anyone else ever get like this from time to time?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In my experience, the most dangerous people are the ones who believe they DO know all the answers and are totally confident they're right.
The best boss I ever had told me that the trick to being able to sleep at night is knowing what you don't know, and never being afraid to say you've reached the limits of what you do know. That way you put yourself on the path of continuous learning which to me is the adventure of engineering.

Wonderfully said. I couldn't agree more. I gave you a big fat star for that one. I'm glad someone reminded me of that.

I totally agree that over-confidence can be a dangerous thing. I have a co-worker here who is a know-it-all. He just seems so smart. He always has the answers. He always believes his answers are correct. He very good at convincing everyone that he is correct. But just like everyone else, he is human and cannot possibly know everything. The truth of the matter is that he is extremely good at bs. He is one of the reasons I get down on myself and I sometimes forget that he just likes to sound smart and spout out bs so he looks good to the bosses. One of these days he might get himself in trouble with his over-confindence.

Once in a while, when I get a conflecting opinion on a technical subject (usually an engineering judgement), I talk it out with my peers. Sometimes I am right, sometimes I am wrong. But, being able to talk out the technical issues helps sort it out.

That is what makes this web site great! If you need an opinion YOU GET IT!

If it is totally a technical problem, and your stumped, still talking it out with someone will sometimes present an answer or approach to solve the problem.

Bradpa77
I was thinking that your problem was more environment than anything else. That is why I like working with a good team and hate working by myself. There is no one to improve on your ideas or share in the risks.

A good boss can make all the difference in building your confidence or making your question your every decision.

A process that has checks and balances also helps. If there is none to check your work or approve things every problem is turned into a personal issue instead of a risk of doing business.

The way thigns seem to work is that once you get good at something you are given something new to learn how to do.

who? whoever it was that said " I sometimes forget that he just likes to sound smart and spout out bs so he looks good to the bosses"

Oh, ok. That was me. I just wanted to make sure that comment was directed at me before I responded.

You just have to trust me on this one. I've known the guy for almost 5 years and I can say with certainty that half of the stuff out of his mouth is BS without a doubt. I know this because I have caught him numerous times talking about things that are flat out wrong with just as much confidence as if he was an absolute expert on the subject. I just can't stand it. nobody knows everything and I have never heard the words "I don't know" come out of his mouth. If you ask him a question, he always has the answer. Even if it's a question that really has no "correct" answer.

Is it jealousy? No. I'm not jealous of the guy. I don't want to be like him at all. I just can't handle people who try to razzle and dazzle the bosses with fake information. I just hope my bosses are bright enough to see through it because I would be livid if he got promoted to some management position or something because of his ability to sound smart.

In my admittedly cynical experience, it's the ones with the bs that appear on management radar as promotion candidates, whilst the ones who can do the job and get on with it are left to their own devices since they are "more important where they are"! Management easily confuse "qualified/competent" with "indispensible" making your passage up the rungs of the corporate ladder difficult in the extreme !

I work with a guy like the BSer. When I first started I remember we were talking about something that was towards my speciality and a few mins later he came up with something suggesting my idea was wrong. His comment was valid for many instances but there were some exceptions. Anyway, later on I wanted to find some information quickly to back up my point b/c I was new and 100% sure...so I went to google clicked on the first link and right at the beginning was a comment almost word for word to what the BSer had made.

So remember everyone can use google.

bradpa77, you are not alone. I always worry that the bearings I suggest my customer may not work. Mostly they do and the ones that don't tell me to go and learn more!!

Here are a couple of goodies.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it and remove all doubt. – Mark Twain

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

My wife and friends don't understand why I sit at my desk (home office) working out equations and reading my engineering books. It's because the fields of engineering and technology are constantly changing. I consider it an investment in my future

I have to agree with several posters about appearing confident at first (especially when dealing with clients) and then scrambling to learn all you can about the topic.

According to non-engineers, we're expected to know what we're talking about, why disappoint them ;)
Although being prepped for further questions (by studying up) is also great.

Continuing education is the reason I like this career. The BS is why I love it ;)

I started my career very unsure of myself. As I went through a few years, my confidence grew. After a couple more, I was an expert at what I did. I could persuade (read force) people to see things my way, be they a contractor, supplier, or other engineer. I was also the go to guy for technical questions in my office, and mentored the people younger (not by much) than me. It felt great, until it got boring.

I decided to look for something where I could grow further. I moved, do similar work to a portion of my last job, with very different soils and people overseeing my work. I am now back to where I started: unsure, and often wondering if they will keep me. I know I am doing a good job, but it feels different than knowing I am on top. Oddly enough, it makes me feel like I am progressing.

You will only stop struggling when you stop climbing the learning curve. It also means you are not getting any smarter.

We are drifting off topic, but I certainly agree that the continuous learning (and hence continual feeling that I am out of my depth, just slightly) is what makes it interesting. Five years ago I jumped into the deep end, as I was a bit bored with my previous job, and it has been the best career move I've made in a long time.

I'm a bit puzzled by this BSer. If he really is wrong HALF the time then he is very lucky to have survived 5 years. In which case I am reminded of Heinlein's quote "It is better to be lucky than clever".

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

JAE...I thought I was the only one who harbored that fear!

bradpa77...I've been doing this for about 30 years and just as others have said, it's that fear of being wrong, being inadequate, or just being a little less smart than the next guy that motivates and drives us. It's the inherent dilemma of a problem solver...which is exactly what we are.

To me, almost everthing is a challenge...some are small challenges that get resolved with almost no second thought, while others get close to brain damage...but I get charged up by the process and the solution. I thoroughly enjoy being an engineer (OK...maybe some of those challenges did some brain damage). If I were smarter I'd be doing something else that makes real money!

Only teenagers and fools know everything. I once worked with a guy who had a great saying for his teenage son “One day son you will know as little as me”

Isn’t feeling slightly out of your depth what makes our jobs fun? Just as you think you have mastered one small thing someone comes along with a new process and you are back to square one again.

You don't have to be wrong half the time to be a menace. I had a co-worker who was wrong maybe 5-10% of the time. But that meant he couldn't be trusted ANY of the time, since you never knew whether you were getting part of the 5% or the 95%; he uttered both truth and crap with equal confidence.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

ajack a star for you for this quote,

"Only teenagers and fools know everything. I once worked with a guy who had a great saying for his teenage son “One day son you will know as little as me”"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back