Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Ex "db" or Ex "db eb" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickParker

Electrical
Sep 1, 2017
NL
I need to evaluate the motors between Ex "db" and Ex "db eb". Which one is better, both operationally and maintenance wise?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Better for what, specifically?

Ex "db" is flameproof construction (d) with level of protection "b" (high).
Basic design is strong enough to withstand internal explosion; flame path long enough to prevent ignition of external medium. Design allows internal ignition sources (like hot spots and sparks).

Ex "eb" is increased safety (e) with level of protection "b" (high).
Basic design is an increased safety level for normally non-sparking equipment. Design does NOT allow any unprotected sparking components inside.

In terms of enclosure construction and rating, the "db" criteria is generally more stringent, because it has to withstand an event created by the internal spark. The "db" design will tend to have better fits (component to component) and "custom" seals between moving and stationary parts in an effort to eliminate flame propagation from the internal volume to the surrounding external medium.

My guess - and it's only a guess, since I don't always deal with IEC ratings - is that the "db eb" rating means flameproof without having an internal spark capability. To me, that would seem to indicate that the "db eb" is likely a safer way to go.

Converting energy to motion for more than half a century

Is this not the Exd Exde situation where a motor might be Exd but the associated terminal box is Exe. An Exd motor with an Exe terminal box would be Exde.
An Exd enclosure is certified specifying size, power within etc and this is difficult to do with the terminal enclosure hence the hybrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back