Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

examination and testing of a test pieces 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSRED

Structural
May 26, 2020
GB
hello I have a question if someone can explain to me please iso15614-1 on examination and testing of the test pieces it says that ultrasonic testing shall not be used for material groups 8,10,41to48 why is this

thanks D

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hi am referring to 2017 edition, 7.1 table 2 page 9 it states ultrasonic testing shall not be used for less then 8mm AND NOT FOR MATERIAL GROUPS 8,10,41to48 I would like to know why not them material groups

thanks d

Im not an expert on UT, but a quick Google gave some hits to a.o. ndt.net. One result directed me to this link; see page 5, section 2.2. Grains found in (weld metal of) SS, DSS, and nickel alloys seem to be the problem. Maybe some other more experienced NDT-er here can concur or provide additional comments.

As for 8 mm; UT has a certain threshold on minimum thickness below which it cant provide meaningfull results.

Huub

Well set-up and calibrated UT can be used on welds in these materials and in material under 0.5mm.
Yes variations in grain size are a big issue.
The limit is there because these types of use are very application specific and require special knowledge, set-up, and calibration. The 'usual' approach will not work.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy

thanks guys that's true regarding requiring special knowledge. on some but welds on the thicker material size the UT tecnition will want us to put holes in the weld area at a certain depth to make sure he can find how deep the hole if I understand this is the correct reason for the drilled hole in the weld regarding a weld sample piece

Due to its coarse grain, u will not get proper interpretation, but nowadays, advanced probes are being used. For less thick back-wall effect will be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back