Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Charts in SolidWorks 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KWC

Mechanical
May 3, 2002
US
Hello,

We are trying to create some Excel charts in SolidWorks. These charts are typically 30 columns x 60 rows. They view fine when in Excel but as soon as you return to SolidWorks it will only show 16 columns x 60 rows. And getting the 60 rows is lucky. Is there a way to control this cropping affect? Does anyone else use charts this large in SolidWorks?

Thanks,
Kevin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you trying to view the columns and rows in a drawing or when you open a DT or a part or assembly?

If your talking about a part or assembly go to Tools\Options\Edit Design Table in separate window.

If your talking about viewing Excel in a drawing you will have to adjust the column Width, and rows Height to view more Columns and Rows.

To help adjust width try using Shrink to fit in the cells.

I hope that helps, Scott Baugh, CSWP [spin]
credence69@REMOVEhotmail.com

I have dealt with this via my solidworks retailer. currently, there's a physical size limitation on displaying design table width. wrap text won't show up in the drawing either.
resizing the fonts (smaller), then reducing column width will make the thing work. You can then go in the drawing, right click the table, and choose properties. you can then "magnify" the table to whatever size in inches you want. Just be careful, the next time you open the drawing, it may be a different size then when you saved it last!!
I currently sent an enhancement request about these issues to solidworks. Hopefully they'll take the size limitation off soon.
good luck

Actually the Limitation isn't with SW it all. It is a OLE limitation of Micro$oft. If what you still can't view the entire excel chart, there is nothing SW can do. It would be better if you sent the request into Micro$oft. Since the problem is with them.

Regards, Scott Baugh, CSWP [spin]
credence69@REMOVEhotmail.com

I am trying to view the Excel sheets in drawing files only. What we are trying do is list various options or miscellaneous data that does not really drive the model configurations. So the chart basically is full of text for reference use. For example, we have a product that has over 10,000 possible options. Rather than model each configuration it is much easier & quicker to show the option selections in a chart.
Scott, you mentioned a Shrink command. Is this in Excel or SolidWorks?
I am begining to agree with Scott's statement. The issue is actually an MS problem. Here is a link to where MS admits the problem My work aroud is basically m56's suggestion.

Thanks folks!
Kevin

The shrinking is in Excel. Format > Column > AutoFit Selection. Try reducing the font size in conjunction with the AutoFit command. DimensionalSolutions@Core.com
While I welcome e-mail messages, please post all thread activity in these forums for the benefit of all members.

Just an FYI...
one thing i've found to be helpful in creating tables, text, or boms in solidworks drawings, is that if you don't necessarily care if the tables linked to the part, in other words, you just want to show info in the drawing, you can highlight (in excel)what you want to show, copy (ctrl+c), then paste (ctrl+v), into the drawing. this is an alternative to 'Insert, design table'. it seems to work much more stable than linking the design table. the only drawback is it's not updated if you update the part's design table.
This may or may not help you. just another alternative to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back