Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel data collection dropout with Rslinx

Status
Not open for further replies.

roddypiper

Mechanical
Jan 28, 2005
CA
Hello,
I have a computer running an excel data collection program to collect data from about 12 different PLC's. The data collection program requires a restart almost daily. It appears as though each time we connect a laptop to a machine, the excel data collection drops out.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent the excel programming from stopping?
Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Roddy,

If you could give us some more information, someone here might be able to help you.

What type of PLCs are you connecting to, and how are you making the connection? Ethernet? Modbus?

Also what type of communications software? RSLinx?

There are also other forums I could direct you to if I knew more about your problem.

I have found out some more information.

All of the PLC's that we connect to are Allen Bradley. There are various models however. Most are 504's.

For the connection, we are using AB DH45. I was told that this unit can only support 31 nodes. The excel software is currently only looking at 12 nodes.

Also, we are using RSlinx professional version.

If you need some more information, let me know and I'll find out.

Thanks for the help.

I would suggest that you investigate changing communication watchdog times, my thinking is that the laptop gets a bigger time slice when connected thus timing out the DDE server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back