Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excitation, Governor and Power Stabilizing System Diagram? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

triage

Electrical
Apr 6, 2005
US
Hello all and thanks for your review.

We have applied for a utility interconnect which will use a 3.5MVA 3 phase synchronous generator, driven by a steam turbine.
A oneline diagram depicting the disconnects and protections was supplied and approved.
A follow up request for our application is:

[highlight #FCE94F]Please provide an IEEE model block diagram of the excitation system, governor system and power system stabilizer (PSS).[/highlight]

Any guidance for where I can seek information to help create this block diagram?

Thank you, Triage

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From your equipment supplier(s). The PSS part is probably aimed at larger units and you might inquire if it applies to a unit of that size, but all three diagrams, will lots of parameters, can come from the equipment manufacturers of the systems.

Hi Davidbeach and thanks for the comments.

Can you cite an equipment mfg and/or product designation that I could look into for this?
It is interesting that you suggest the system is probably too small for a PSS, they followed the request saying that PSS may not be necessary and should be included as an optional component.

Governor and Excitation control equipment mfg?

Woodward should be able to provide typical transfer functions for their governors, and Basler can provide the equivalent for voltage regulators and also PSS.

But you should really be getting it from your actual suppliers. But for a 3.5 MW unit, you may not have much luck.

The relevant IEEE standard for excitation systems is IEEE 421.5 (2005) - IEEE Recommended Practice for Excitation System Models for Power System Stability Studies. Most of the standard exciter block diagrams are presented in this standard (e.g. DC, static, brushless, etc), so you should select the exciter type depending on your actual equipment. Tuning the parameters is another matter however and I doubt manufacturers of small machines would have any proper parameter settings...

As far as I'm aware, there is no IEEE standard for governor control systems, so dpc's suggestion of getting a standard steam turbine governor model from say Woodward, Siemens, etc would be reasonable. I would also recommend getting a model for the steam turbine, which will give you the relationship between the steam valve position (i.e. output of the governor) and the mechanical torque / power output of the turbine (i.e. input to the generator).

Unless you're connecting quite a few of these units onto the network, I seriously doubt you'll need a PSS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back