Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exciting current of Extended-Delta Transformer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbofitz

Electrical
Aug 6, 2007
US
I am interested in seeing differences in excitation current of a standard transformer (Delta or Wye primary)to that of an extended delta unit.

Additionally I want to investigate any differences between a 3-leg transformer and a 5-legged unit under inrush and short circuit conditions.

If you haven't guessed yet I'm tasked to evaluate a 5-legged, extended delta primary transformer under inrush.

Anybody that might have a waveform capture or a useful link it would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your support.

Regards,
Jim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

David,

My understanding is that it is a delta-wound transformer but the delta connection is formed by connecting the end of one winding to (say) the 80% tapping of the next winding. The lines are connected at the 100% tapping. The transformer produces a phase shift which is somewhat dependant on the tapping at which the delta is formed. They usually turn up in high power rectfiers with high pulse counts - 24 and upward.

The star-delta dual of the extended delta design is the zig-zag or inter-star transformer.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back