Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excluded reference set trouble (NX5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedster29

Mechanical
Mar 25, 2008
US
I have an assembly with several sub-assemblies. For some reason one of the subs has become an excluded reference set and cannot be made visible. When I try to make it a work part the reference set changes to "empty." How can I fix this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

John,

If you should NEVER create reference sets inside an Assembly, how do you control object visibility at the Drawing level ?

I'd have suggested layers, but you also seem to suggest not using layers,

Okay, I can go along with that, if we're talking solely components.

How about, if my model contains multiple solids ? For example, 'in process' models (on different layers).

Similarly, if I want to have Sketch curves carried up from the solid models and displayed in drawing views ?

Promote or wave linking is often used for 'in process' models. As for the sketch curves you will probably have to fall back on layering and visible in view.

Cowski,

I tend to use Extract Body (at Timestamp) in the solid model file to create the in-process bodies. When in the drawing file, I resort to layering and visible in view.

There are always going to be special situations which is why the arcane functions are still available and usable, just that for perhaps as much as 90+% of the cases we feel that the recommended approaches will work best and therefore they should be used.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't continuing to do something 'arcane' (Ref Sets, Layers, Visible In View), when there were better approaches.

Certainly Reference Sets are NOT arcane, and it's a matter of personal opinion as to HOW arcane one might see Layers and Visible in View ;-)

That being said, I have to be careful how I use the word 'Arcane' around our house since my son chose to use that name for the company he's a co-owner of, 'Arcane Technology Group'. I tried to explain to him that a term like 'arcane' may not be the best choice for a computer services company, but they seem to be doing OK so who's to say ;-)

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

Ok John, you say not to use reference sets inside of assemblies but moldwizard has them built into there assemblies as well as each components has a true and false so if you put them into a sub assembly than you have already done this, I use reference sets all the time for everything, and use very little layers, how else are you suppose to do it, other than referance sets??? And I have used that show/hide component in view command for drafting and it blows, reference sets is the way to go if you know how to use them.

I'm just pointing out that the way Reference Sets work, many problems which people have had over the years in terms of suddenly assemblies coming up with missing components or sub-assemblies appearing to be 'empty' or at least partially so, have been traced back to people not fully understanding the impact that using Reference Sets in an assembly might have.

As for the MoldWizard issue, that product was developed long before we had such things as Arrangements and such, which I suspect that if we were redo it from scratch today, it would be very different in many ways.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

cowski said:
Does he refer to himself as the 'Head Luddite'?

Actually I just noticed that they have updated their website and he's now listed as the 'Master of IT' (formerly he and his business partner were simply listed a 'principles').

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back