Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Exhaust Duct Engineer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TugboatEng

Marine/Ocean
Nov 1, 2015
US
I have an upcoming project that requires an offset in some 16 inch pipe but don't have room for two 90° elbows. I believe this can be achieved using rectangular ducting but there are complications of very high vibration and rapid temperature cycling of up to 1000°F within minutes. What type of engineer specializes in this type of design? This one is way over my head. I don't know where to look.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For whatever it's worth, I've purchased 20" short radius U-bends in Inconel 625 before, from a company in texas called Lone Star Supply Co. It's been a while, but if I remember correctly they dealt in a range of the more exotic alloys along with more standard stainless grades.

IMO, DVD's solution above is the best one yet posted. Need 2x short radius U's per engine (or 135s would save you some fab $$$, if you can get them). Either a slip coupling on both ends or a bellows in the middle.

Those Cat application guides are extremely informative and very easy to understand. A lot of them are published on Scene7 for free access.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back