Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Exhaust termination for Generator to 12 story healthcare faciltiy

Status
Not open for further replies.

neighbor lady

Student
Feb 13, 2024
US
Very concerned about diesel fuel exhaust from 8 inch single wall pipe 10 feet from property line, and only 13 feet from small apartment house with bank of 4 French Doors, entry door, patio door, lots of windows, exhaust pipe horizontally in line with these doors and windows, so very close.
Have read about diesel health hazards. IMC 501.1 requires 30 feet from property line for flammable and explosive, but other product 10 feet, so I guess this is 10 feet? ? Also, IMC 510 designates diesel exhaust toxic and hazardous highest category, still only 10 feet? Why not as harmful as flammable and explosive requiring 30 feet?
Very concerned about particulates from this. Pictures shows pipe and apartment house.
721_in58af.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Presumably, it's only going to run during a power outage, so just keep the windows closed during any power outages. It's closer to the "healthcare facility" than the apartment building, so if it was really a health hazard requiring a large clearance, they would've had to increase the clearance there.

That's a no brainer
Extend the exhaust upwards above the apartment.
Been there, done that.
My install but NOT MY DESIGN.
An almost identical situation.
The set ran once and I was designing a stack extension to raise the discharge above the roof line.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back