Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Existing Bar Joist

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark1234

Structural
Oct 25, 2004
US
Was wondering what this joist likely is.

25 year old building.

Ground Snow 25 psf
Centeral N.J.
26" Deep
40' Span
6'-3" o.c. spacing typ.
bottom chord - 1 3/4 x 1 3/4 x 3/16
web rods 7/8" diameter

That's all the info. I have at this time.

Thanks in Advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look at the ends of the joist. You should find a metal tag on one end. Get the info from that tag and contact the manufacturer. If manufacturer is not identified or tags are not there, then consult the Steel Joist Institute's 60 year joist manual which will help you find your info.

Most of the books I've found for the 70 year joist catalog, etc. did not indicate chord sizes or web shapes. That is why I suggested the investigation tool. You can also ask for typical fabrication shapes for different joist types.

RC
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke

I have had personal experience with this and used the forms on the SJI website. Follow the link that RCraine has posted above. They got back to me with in a few hours and even provided answers and information to follow up questions.

Thanks for the feedback!

I did reach out to steel joist and submitted online. They got back to me in 20 minutes. They felt it was likely a 26K10 joist with the information I provided. I was thinking it was a 26K6 or 7.

Trying to find a source for common bar joists and their component sizes. Do the 60, 70 year joist catalog's provide this information or is their a better resource?

The historical bar joist catalogue doesn't usually provide component sizes. You'll get joist sizes and capacities for different spans.
I think the practice for the manufacturers is that they use whatever components (angles, bar, etc.) they can get to provide stated capacities. So it's impossible to specifically define these.

Jed,
We just ran into a similar issue and found that SJI was able to provide typical components for suspected joist sizes.

The 60 year joist catalog will provide if they were around 25 years ago.

RC
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back