Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Existing Cantilevered Column System for a Two Story?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chamokinawan

Structural
Feb 9, 2015
US
I am doing a remodel for a two-story commercial building, shortening 2 shearwalls. On the second floor, there are two obvious wood shear walls, but they are on opposite ends of the building about 106' apart. There are 6" dia. HSS columns about 24'± on center in between the shear walls. Right below the HSS are W 12x Columns on the first floor. I'm having a hard time believing the diaphragm is spanning 106' while only from shear wall to shearwall, it's only 52' deep. I want to assume the HSS are cantilevered columns. Has anyone done a 2-story cantilevered column system with splices between floors?

Building was built in the late 80's. We're in Southern California and seismic governs, SDC=D.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your diaphragm aspect ratio is only about two. It should be able to span the entire length of the building without too much difficulty.

While could use a cantilevered column system in many situations, I have a very hard time seeing it work with 6" columns at 24' o/c in a high seismic zone like California. I expect that a back of the envelope calc on the column flexural capacity and drif required would eliminate this as a viable option pretty quickly.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back