Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Existing Flat Sewer

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDredger

Civil/Environmental
Jan 16, 2008
I have a new project for a school that will build a 2,000 seat arena at an existing campus. The arena will generate 310 Fixture Units, or about 0.25 cfs during peak use.

The sanitary tie in will be a private 4" lateral, currenty serving a maintenance building and baseball concession stand (low use). After having the lateral exposed and shot for location and elevation, I calculated it is 900-feet at 0.1% slope to the tie in public manhole.

The mannings capacity for the pipe is a quarter of expected peak flow, at about 0.06 cfs.

The question for me is do I just design 900 feet of new bipass line down an existing road, or propose a connection to the undersized (and old) line.

For the second option, I would propose a new sanitary manhole. Flows above existing downstream capacity could surcharge the manhole temporarily until catching up.

Normally I wouldn't consider anything but a new bypass line, however the arena's peak use will be limited to a few times a year at best (basketball games).

Any opinions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The existing 4" is to small even for a service. It should be at least 6" diameter. The slope of 0.10% is much to flat. The usual design is a flow velocity of 2 fps for the pipe flowing full. I don't understand how this would have been permitted

I would suggest replacing all of the sewer with a properly sized and sloped gravity line or an ejector system and force main.

Estimating the flow from such an installation is more art than science.

One rule of thumb is to assume that 25% of the patrons will use the restroom during an intermission. That would calculate to an estimated sanitary flow of around 50 gpm. That is about 1/2 of what you estimated.

Sure you may save a few dollars to skip the installation of a new lateral, but how much of an embarassment would it be to have a sewer overflow on a brand new project?

The existing sewer line is inadequate and should be increased in capacity.

surcharge the manhole temporarily until catching up
- you had better do some calcs on this one. Unless you have a really big manhole or a lift station with a large wet well, you won't get much storage in a manhole. Plus it will be a big mess, hope you never need to do any maintenance in that manhole...

I recommend checking PEAK FLOW capacity for your system, i.e. think of lines at the bathrooms at halftime. Potential for numerous flushes and all at once.

I had a project where we had to add a second grinder pump station to handle PEAK FLOWS for the concession/snack bar/bathroom out building at a high school sport field.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I just don't think it is worth the risk, so I am proposing a bipass sanitary line.

If the owner needs to start cutting costs after bids come in, I could propose that to them as an option. At least then it would be easier for me to explain the risks involved and let it be their decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back