Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Existing Press vessel with no datash. and reinforced flat head and bottom needs to be assessed 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

VesselFred

Mechanical
Jul 26, 2017
NL
Dear All,

I have an used pressure vessel of which the datasheets are no longer available (so the Original design pressure is not known).
The general arrangement is available with the material of the vessel .
The thickness measurement of the shell, flat head and flat bottom have been measured recently and are available.
We want to use this vessel for a certain design pressure and design temperature.
Can I put this pressure vessel in service based on a succesfull check with the results obtained from a PV Elite run ?
I do not know anything about the welds and possible heat treatment the vessel had in the past.

What program can I use to assess the circular reinforced flat head and flat bottom which are welded to the shell ?

Appreciate your advice on this.

Best regards
VesselFred

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This comes up many times here. You don't have a used pressure vessel, what you have is a lump of scrap metal.

You don't state code or boiler jurisdiction, but without construction history, material certs etc I can't see anyone authorising this as a pressure vessel.

Unless you can find the original design data and certification is all a waste of time, IMHO.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

But, rather than rely on advice from an internet forum, no matter how accurate, you need to be asking the question of your jurisdiction / AI / insurance carrier. It is their call.

Me, I'd junk it.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Particularly the insurance carrier has it carries the liability whether it is on boiler and machinery, public liability or workers compensation.

Hi VesselFred

I wouldn't recommend using the vessel without knowing the history, if the vessel is produced to a code then it should have some stamp or tag telling you what code its designed too, then with that knowledge you can check and assess suitability.

“Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater.” Albert Einstein

A couple of additional thoughts on this.
First, it might be worthwhile to check the exemptions in ASME Section VIII to see if the vessel falls under any of those.
Secondly, before doing any analysis, rerating, measuring, or whatever, consider what will be the end result. The problem comes up with vessels (and tanks), that people want to take the ol' mystery tank and somehow analyze/inspect it back into a code vessel. The codes specify thicknesses and configuration and you can take an existing vessel and check some of that stuff. But the codes also specify things like weld certification and welder qualification, and there's simply no way to go back after the fact and show that the vessel construction complied in those respects. So you can spend a lot of time analyzing, X-raying, UT-ing, etc., but still not be able to slap a new "Code" nameplate on it as you'd like to be able to do.
Some jurisdictions don't regulate pressure vessels- but you'd still have the insurance requirements mentioned above, you might have OSHA or mechanical code requirements for it to be an ASME vessel, and prudence may dictate that it be retired even if there is no legal prohibition to operating it.

No Brian I do not want to assume the liability for a vessel with an unknown past. Therefore it is clear to me this won't fly. Thanks !

Dear All,

Thanks for your reponses. Any doubts I had in pursuing a solution with this vessel have now certainly been taken away and this vessel will get a big rejected stamp.

Best regards
VesselFred

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back