Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Existing URM Check with ASCE 41-13?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAHstruct

Structural
Oct 25, 2005
US
Found this old post (thread507-375408) regarding designing unreinforced masonry per ASCE 41-13, but unfortunately the answers to the questions weren't posted. I'm running into the same problems with a project that I'm currently working on, and using ASCE 41-13 for checking existing unreinforced masonry walls isn't very straightforward for new users (IMHO).

If I have a URM wall that doesn't have any superimposed dead load at the top of the wall (Pd), then per ASCE 41-13 equation 11-10 is there no expected final shear strength of the wall based on bed joint sliding? For example, assume a cantilever wall (not a perforated wall with piers) that is parallel to the roof joists.

The equation is:
Vbjs2 = 0.5 Pd

There is plenty of initial shear strength capacity (Vbjs1) based on the initial bed-joint sliding shear strength (vme) per equation 11-9, but section 11.3.2.3.1 states that "Vbjs1 shall be used when assessing component behavior at the Immediate Occupancy Performance Level and Vbjs2 shall be used for all other Performance Levels."

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Also note that ASCE 41-06 section 7.3.2.2.2 used to have shear strength as a force controlled action per equation 7-4:
VCL = vml An

But there was no final shear strength that was dependent on a superimposed dead load. Perhaps I should use the '06 version for shear strength?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back