Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Expansion Joints in Steel Roof Deck 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveRivard

Structural
Mar 23, 2006
US
Does anybody out there have any practical guides for determining whether an expansion joint is necessary/required for a bar joist and steel deck roof? My building in question is 172' wide x 304' long. Intuition tells me that something may be warranted here, but I'm not sure.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've personally designed my fair share of buildings that size that I didn't provide expansions joints. There are some factors as that may affect this though. I have a report that I got off the internet that helps decide whether you might need an expansion joint. Check out "Expansion Joints in Buildings", Technical Report No. 65 prepared by the Standing Committee on Structural Engineering of the Federal Construction Council Building Research Advisory Board Division of Engineering.

Wale...do you know of anywhere this report can be downloaded for free, or is it only available from the National Academies Press for a fee?

I got the report for free years ago by writing to them.

Consideration should be made for expansion joints depending upon whether the finished structure is subject
to wide swings in temperature (which you did not mention) or whether it is heated/cooled. Also the location of bracing can have an effect. For instance if the bracing is centered, the structure will grow each way from the bracing, however, if it is located at one end, then the expansion affect will be doubled.

I hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back