Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Experience with Gearbox Manufacturers

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilBW

Mechanical
Feb 17, 2004
US
The company I work for uses a lot of fairly large (450-1000 kW) gearboxes. We have worked with 2 suppliers in the past, and the service from both has gotten pretty poor. All the gearbox manufacturers seem to be so busy they aren't concerned with customer service. We are looking at suppliers who may be more responsive, but still want a high quality gearbox. We have gotten quotes from Henschel, Flender, Zambello and Rossi. All four quoted to the same specs, and according to their quotes they all quoted about the same thing. However, the most expensive was approximately twice the price of the least expensive with the rest scattered in between. The variation in prices concerns me. Has anyone had experience, good or bad, with any of these four gearbox manufacturers?

Phil

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have no experience with these manufacturers. Flender certainly has a good reputation. Keep asking around. You might look up consultants at the AGMA web site, and ask them if they've heard anything. Philadelphia Gear has a reputation for good work and high prices. You might also consider The Gear Works (Seattle), as well as Falk, Maag Gear, and Milwaukee Gear.

Canadian company Standard Machines,
in Saskatoon,SA, can also design and
make large gearboxes. I visited that
company three years ago, and saw several
large Niles grinders, which were bought
from Philadelphia Gear when Philadelphia
Gear.

Gearbox technolgy is a mature technology.
Many Asian countries can also make high
quality gearboxes too. Some of them only
need to buy large gear grinders such as Niles from
Europe. They also buy bevel gear grinders
from Gleason and other European makers.

I heard from a friend in gear industry for many years
saying that Philadelphia Gear was declared
bankrupted a few years ago.
The existing Philadelphia Gear
is probably very different from the previous.

The price spread is typical. Some use fine analytical methods and others use rule of thumb with conservative factors. Work with the two lowest to get their interpretations before you place the order.

Thanks to all for your comments. This gives me some additional options to explore. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Phil

PhilBW,

I've had very good experience working with SEW Eurodrive on the small to medium size gear motors 1/2 to 40 HP (1/3-30KW). They do make larger sizes and do custom work. Their customer service is excellent and they make excellent gearboxes.

Regards,

Rich....[viking]

Richard Nornhold, PE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back