Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

exploded blocks in a drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigiBob

Aug 22, 2001
US
I recently expoded a block in my drawing of a delta symbol. Now the symbol is there and I can not select it to move it or remove it from the drawing. No matter what I try, I can not get rid of it. Did it become sketch entities? It also shows up on the drawing when I print...

Bob

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It should have become sketch entities. You need to find out what view (or the Sheet Format) it is in. It will be whatever was selected when you inserted the block. It should be blue when you find the right view...

Mr. Pickles

They are not part of any view, I was using them in the notes, but not on the sheet format, on the sheet. A little background.. I had blocks from 2001plus for delta's that had text. When I inserted them, I double clicked the text to change it to whatever I wanted. Now in 2003, I could not do that, it wants me to change the definition file. Well when I change the definition file it updates all the instances of the block.. so being in a hurry, I expoded one and now I am in this mess...

Bob

BobSnead

Like DetroitPickles said you should try to find the view to which the symbol belongs. But this can be tricky because there are items (this happens often with axis) that can be selected only if they are inside of the view's boudary box.

If you have found the view and still can't select the items, they are probably outside the boundary box: extend the boundary box untill the items are inside of it. The items can now be selected.

Regards

Thanks,
I tried this before.. There are two views in my drawing. I stretched one out over and beyond the delta and still could not select it, then stretched it back and tried the other with no luck.. I think it is something to do with the blocks.

If you explode a block it belongs to the sheet, whether it was attached to a view prior to exploding or not.

Try to activate the sheet (using RMB - Activate sheet or RMB - Lock sheet focus, if you are using dynamic drawing view activation) and then you should be able to select your delta (I suppose these are lines) and delete it.

Bye,
Stefan

--
unofficial german SolidWorks helppage
Shareware, freeware, tools and macros

Bob,
I can't help you, but I can tell you that I have run into the same problem a while ago. It shouldn't happen, so after reading you're thread and some of the answers that some supplied, I thought I'd give it another try:
What do you think: now it works! After exploding I can still select all the elements from the exploded block.
I think the blocks don't work as they should all of the time and that the programming-people who make the product still have something to do in order to fix this problem.
Aart

Thanks again Stefan,
That's a new one for me.. Lock sheet focus and then I could pick the entities and delete..I will have to look this one up because I am not sure what lock sheet focus is..

Thanks again,
Bob

This exact thing happened to me today.
I didn't really fix it, or figure it out. What I did was checked my layers, then made sure it was on it's own layer (they usually are).
Then I deleted the layer! This is one way to get rid of it.

not the preferred method I'm sure, but it works to get rid of it if nothing else. I know it wasn't in a view boundary box, because I had none in the drawing.

I had another similar experience..I inserted a view with automatic center lines. Then I moved the view, but the centerlines stayed where they were..I could not select them. I tryed the lock sheet focus, lock view focus, ended up deleting the view, turned off automatic centerlines, and re-insert the view..What a pain!!

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back