Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

exploding dimensions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I disagree, I have too explode dimension MOST of the time. I can never get the dimension to come out exactly like I want them, so I manually "massage" them! I'm not advocating this as a universal standard, but in my discipline (piping) this normal. My $0.02 anyway. ...Mark

llecho,
What is it on the dimensions that you can't get right? Is it the size of the arrows, size of the text or what? Is it the dimension values that are wrong? If I have to fudge the dimension value, I use "tedit" from the Express Tools to overide the text BUT the dimension is still all one entity and not a bunch of text, lines, and arrows.

Think of this: if you explode one dimlinear dimension you turn it into 7 entities of lines, arrows, and text (2 extension lines, 2 dimension lines, 2 arrows, and text). I have had to clean drawings from other users who had complete sheets of exploded text. Very unprofessional in my opinion, so please educate me as to when there isn't any other solution than to explode a dimension.

Flores

I agree with smcadman - I'm very curious why you have to explode dimensions all the time. Surely, there is a better way to fudge them to be what you uwant !!!

I have no problem with the arrowhead sizes, accuracy of the dimensions, text size, or any of that. BUT in my discipline I have to string dim.s thru equipment and piping. These dim.s go from 30'-0" to 3" and AutoCAD tries to put dim.s where the really don't belong, even if it does fit. So I have to manually massage them to "look" correct. That and I have to incorporate a "graphic" value to the symbols also, so true dim.s would be incorrect. Case in point, at 3/8" scale the gap between a valve and a flange is about 0.75" in the real world it is 0.125", but if I draw it correctly at the 0.125 gap and at 3/8" the double line becomes a blob on the print. Basically I use AutoCAD exactly like I use to draw on the board, to me AutoCAD in nothing more then a fancy pencil and eraser! ...as it should be!!! I do have a problem with drafter that make symbols using lines instead of Plines ...so I go to move or erase them I get only a piece of it! My 2 cents! ...Mark

hi,

to add my two cents, acad is a lot more than a pencil and eraser. by drawing in full scale, you can find out other info about what you're drawing that might not be apparent otherwise, and to me, that acad's real value, regardless of discipline.

what do you do with revisions if your dinemsions are exploded, start over?

it sounds like you should become more aquainted with the dimstyle manager. it seems that could solve a lot of the problems you mention, e.g. precision, text size, etc. also, for text placement, you can use grips to place without exploding. Another feature i find helpful is to alter the scale in the "fit" section. Where i work we use 11 x17 paper, so we also have problems with fitting things on the page and text legibilty.

sundemon

It sounds to me like you are changing your drawing so it is not as is in order to clarify this small dimensioned area if so you don't need to explode the dim just change the text to what you want.

If the dimension has to be placed in an area that is too "clustered", one option would be to click the dimension > properties > fit > text movement > move text, add leader. This will allow you to move your text to a location that would be clearer to see. If you model in model space, and dimension on your layout (paper space), you will not have to worry about a dimension becoming a "blob" and unreadable. Also, another option would be to create a detail view.

Flores

Cadfool ...Again at 3/8" scale (the world I normally live it), when I approach dim.s about 2'-0" length, Autocad will put the text off to one side instead on top of the dim.s where it belongs, or elevate it above the common dimensional string. Also it'll not close the dim. and only put arrowheads on the outside of the dim.s (not the way we do things in my discipline). I have changed the text and not explode the dim. but then the text stay's the same even if I stretch it, so what's the differences? AND as a designer I have to KNOW how a change of dimensional info changes the situation, and NOT count on Autocad automatically changing everything correctly. Those of you that do are setting yourselves up for problems down the road. I have about 15 years of board experience and about 6 years of formal drafting education, Autocad (and the other programs) were sold as a drafting aid, it doesn't design or indicate which concepts are better over another, and that's why I think of it as a "fancy pencil & eraser" only! ...Granted a very sharper pencil & eraser ...but one none the less. AND if you'll talk to the old guys like me, I think you hear the same comments! Again my own ranting & ravings ...Mark

I dont know if this was mentioned by dimassoc controls if the dimension is associated or not when the dimension is created.

With the value of 0, after being created the dimension is like exploded, arrowheads blown and all.

With the value of 1, it keeps it all together as a normal dimension, but if you move the geometry its attached too the dimension doesnt adjust to it.

With the value of 2 it stay together also but if you move geometry the dimension updates itself, or follows the move if you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back