Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exploding text

Status
Not open for further replies.

socalboy

Electrical
Jul 19, 2002
US
Does anyone know of a way to turn text into line segments? I need to hatch around the text, but don’t want to show a boundary box.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

MAY I ASK THE REASON IN WHICH YOU WOULD WANT TO DO THIS. IF IT IS FOR APPERENCE TRY CHANGING YOUR TEXT STYLE TO YOUR NEEDS. I HAVE ALWAYS FELT THAT EXPLODING YOUR TEXT IS LIKE EXPLODING A 3D OBJECT IT IS NOT A GOOD PRACTISE TO GET INTO.

As Kely says, exploding text is a bad option.
However, I just checked out and in Bonus menu of Acad14 there is Text/Explode.
The bonus commands did not work at first, I reloaded,
(load "ac_bonus")
and then picked bonus/text/explode text
and it worked.

But then, I tried hatch and there was no frame box around text.
In Menu Hatch Options Advanced,
Style: Normal or ignore
Boundary: retain
Island detection: yes, no
give all possible combinations you might need, without having to explode text.

In the worst case, you can put rectangles around text before hatching and erase them afterwards.
Hope this helps.
Ah. The Bonus menu of Acad 14 is called express menu in acad2000

Dear socalboy,

If you select the text object as one of the hatch
boundaries, the hatch will be created arround the text.

Farzad,

I explode text so for one reason and that is to be able to hatch around it effectively and to have the text printed in white when it is surrounded by hatching. If the text is to remain solid I create the hatch, ignoring the text and then move the text above the hatch.

sc

It depends on what version of AutoCAD you are using as to how to do the explode text function.

Check out this thread for some info:

Exploding text into its component line segments can use a HUGE amout of memory, (both RAM for the actual operation and hard disk space to save the completed drawing). When I explode text, I try to do it as one of the very last steps in the drawing process. Be sure to save your work in a back up file prior to doing the explode text function, as the explode text operation is NON-REVERSIBLE.

You can use the text as a hole in hatch, and it does not leave a line around it, however, another way to do it is to create a polyline around the text in the defpoint layer (since defpoints does not plot), and hatch as normal as use the pline as part of the hatch hole. Good luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back