Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Explosion Proof - Electric Radiant Heat Panel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo1184

Mechanical
Sep 28, 2006
US
I am in need of explosion proof radiant heat panels for a class 1 div 1 facility. I checked with Chromalox and had no luck. Would anybody be able to suggest a manufacturer?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I was going to go with unit heaters (as I did in other rooms of the building), but this equipment is for the screen room of a water treatment plant. The room is mostly unoccupied, but the wastewater engineers were concerned about pipes freezing, etc. The room has a 5,000 cfm exhaust/air filtering system that is constantly running...so I figured a radiant heater may be the better choice.

I called Indeeco, and they said they didn't manufacture such equipment. I'm wondering if I should be asking for "tube" instead of panels. Does asking for the panels imply the ceiling tile type??

Thanks again for the replies.

Your choice of system is not right.
For sewage pump station, you need to supply and exhaust air at 12 ACH while maintaining negative pressure with dual flow rates if you have gas and oxygen sensors and the like, see NFPA 820 ventilation chapter.
YOU need an Indeeco explosion proof duct mounted heater upstream of the supply fan.
Why go radiant when what you need is to heat the OA coming in, not the objects in the space.
How come your screen room is occupied? Screen rooms are seldom occupied, stinks like hell in there, one could pass out easily from exposure to excessive H2S if they stayed long periods in such an environment.

Read your NFPA 820 and stick to that, stop messing with your brain about system choice.

Forgot to mention, use explosion proof electric unit heaters in addition to the duct mounted heater as Lilliput suggested.
You now have your system complete.

Thanks Atlas. I totally agree with you and the space not being occupied. I worded it wrong. What I meant by "mostly" was the occasional worker walking in there for whatever the reason may be. The room was designed according to NFPA 820 Class I Div I criteria. The reason I was leaning away from the explosion proof heaters is for the soul reason that it seems like a waste to temper all that incoming air when the space is typically unoccupied. I'm new to the field, but the two sewage stations that I did visit lacked heating in the screen rooms. Initially I thought a room like this wasn't heated. The main concern is was the equipment freezing, therefore I figured it would save energy heating the actual objects in the room and not the incoming air. Please correct me if my reasoning is wrong.

Thanks again.

If the room is exhausted, it is better to have a makeup air heater to heat outdoor air prior to introducing it into the building. Otherwize the exhaust will pull in infiltration - unheated outdoor air anywhere there is a crack or opening on the building envelope, creating freezing problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back