Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Explosion proof limit switch suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAP

Electrical
Jul 7, 2002
TH
Dear all
I'm looking for explosion proof limit switch, Anyone can suggest me about it ? (please suggest your supplier / manufacturer).
Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can check with the following companies.

Square-D/Telemecanique (Which is handled by Graybar)and Namco

These 2 groups where the majority of what I used in the past. If you tell them what kind of environment...they can help you determine what level of protection that you need.

Carl

hi..
you have to give us more information about the location where you want to install the limit switch...

you might be able to get away with a proximity switch installed in a explosion proof box...

dydt

I think it is better to classify the hazardous level of that particular area first, e.g. zone 2 area, zone 1 or even zone 0. For zone 0, the most dangerous one, what u can use is Ex'd' or Ex'i' type equipment, zone 1 with Ex'e' and zone 2 with Ex'n' etc. Wrong area classification may incur high cost in Ex-equipment selection.

If you want to specify an explosion proof switch then as per IEC you can specify Exd or Exde.
You can aslo add the gas groop environment ie IIA/B/C and the temp rating say T3 and finally the ingress protection (IP) rating of say IP56 for general outdoor application.So adding everything together the total spec for the switch would read
Exd,IIB,T3,IP56 or Exde,IIB,T3,IP56
Note that an Exd switch will cost more as it will have a metal housing but will be more rugged too, while Exde will be relatively cheaper as it will have a plastic (GRP) housing but not usually specified for rugged duty.

Finally, it is not permissible (by IEC) to use or specify Exd or Exde devices in zone 0 where only Exs ( s being - special design) would be permitted for power application devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back