Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exponentials 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlata

Electrical
Nov 7, 2000
US
Is it possible to enter exponentials in a cell(Excel 97)?
For example, 5271*D*exp-1.9593 (D can be a figure in another cell). I am somewhat rusty in VBA but will be coming up to speed soon. Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Use the EXP function. Just search for exp in the help and you will see the format required. For your case, where D1 is the value in cell D1:
Code:
= 5271*D1*EXP(-1.9593)
DimensionalSolutions@Core.com
While I welcome e-mail messages, please post all thread activity in these forums for the benefit of all members.

Thank you for your response. Didn't I tell you I was rusty? With all this concern over NFPA 70E - Arc Fault Protection I needed to quickly calculate the incident energy of an arc in open air. So rather than an exponential function I had intended to seek help on writing an excel equation for an expression that had a number raised to a power. Never-the-less, I did come up with an expression as shown below. It represents the equation found in NFPA 70E, B-5.1 for an Arc in Open Air with result in cal/cm-sqd.

=5271*(POWER(C2,-1.9593))*C3*((0.0016*C4*C4)-(0.0076*C4)+0.8938)

Thank you, again.

energetika:

That is not the same thing. The EXP function is e (2.71828) raised to the nth power. DimensionalSolutions@Core.com
While I welcome e-mail messages, please post all thread activity in these forums for the benefit of all members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back