Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Export Catia V4 / V5 file

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAJS

Mechanical
Nov 21, 2008
NL
LS,
We have to export NX10 files to Catia V4/V5. This function is available within Modeling. When using this command a Catia.cadpart is created. However when this file is imported into Catia the 3D model appears, only without history model knowledge and just seen as a solid body (like STEP). Is it possible to export to Catia with keeping all the original features? Or is this simply not possible?
I am looking forward to your advise, and thanks in advance!
Best regards,
Henk

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That I am aware, it's not possible to translate feature to feature with the CATIA translator sold by Siemens.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 9.0.2.5 Win7 Enterprise x64 SP1
Intel Core i7 2.5GHz 16GB RAM
4GB NVIDIA Quadro K3100M

There is no attempt to ever preserve the feature/parametric modeling data when EXPORTING files from NX to any other system, even Solid Edge. However, there are tools available which will attempt to preserve as much as possible the feature/parametric data of certain brands of foreign modeling files when IMPORTED into NX, but these are NOT your normal so-called standards-based translators but rather a suite of 'migration' tools which are available. And the key word here is 'migration' as these are intended primarily for when an organization is moving from a foreign CAD system to NX. They are NOT intended for exchanging or sharing CAD files between systems, but rather as a one-time and one-way conversion of CAD modeling files.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back