Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Export of co-ordinates and attributes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanSweeney

Civil/Environmental
Mar 16, 2005
NO
Is it possible to export the co-ordinates of a block along with its attributes to the same file. (or seperate files easily combined).

I have a block which contains names of property which are home to septic tanks (very interesting I know) and I want to extract the information (along with the evelation and depths which are also stored as attributes) so the names of the property sit alongside the co-ordinates of the centre of the tank in the output file.

Cheers. Sean.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The answer is it is possible. The ability to do what you want is not totally built in though. You may need to program parts of it. Attibute extraction is in the Express tools. Block insertion points will need to be pulled.

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." — Will Rogers

Problem is after obtaining the co-ordinates they then have to be matched to each respective extracted attribute (which contains the property name). I've noticed that when you extract or export the attributes from a block theres a column called 'handle' defined individually for each block in a '34d6 type format.

If I can extract the coordinates at the same time as obtaining that handle value, it would be easy.

Any idea where the handle comes from / is stored for a block (or is it individual for each attribute extraction.)

You suggest programming - thats where I slip up. Do you have any code which does just the extraction of co-ordinates?

Cheers. Sean.

When you say coordinates, do you mean the insertion point of a block? You might also want to post a sample of the block somewhere where we could take a look at it.

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." — Will Rogers

extracting x,y,z coordinates for blocks is a very easy process using eattext. you can extract attribute and general block properties to an autocad table or excel spreadsheet.

Answer to my own question - yes I am doing it wrong - just fill the xyz fields for extraction.

An extra question though. Can the table be edited and the blocks updated from those edits (rather than the blocks being changed and the table updated from them - much quicker)

Cheers. Sean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back