Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Export to AutoCAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayden

Mechanical
Jul 31, 2002
NZ
HI all,

I'm trying to get a model through to one of our suppliers that uses AutoCAD. I tried ACIS (*.sat) but he said he couldn't read it. I think he's using AC 2000. Is there a version of SAT that must be used?

Is there some other way to get this data through?

Thanks in advance

Hayden

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you sure your ACAD guy is using solids? ACIS should be better than IGES for solids, but if your guy is using ACAD in 2D mode then this is pretty much moot.

If he is using ACAD in 2D your best bet might be to generate a bunch of views in a SWX drawing and save it as DWG/DXF. At least then he will have accurate object lines.

- - -DennisD

I send drawings to AutoCad by saving the drawing as a ".dwg" file. When you click "Save", a mapping file comes up. This file lets you specify layers, colors, etc. for the AutoCad file. My drawings are used internally but the resulting ".dwg" file can be zipped and emailed.

Thanks all, ACIS was the way to go, and version 4 was fine for the version of autoCAD being used. It was more a case of our supplier not know what to do from the AutoCAD end. We sorted it out in the end though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back