Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting and ANSYS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here is a link: Like many other high end CAE solutions they can read in files directly from your MCAD files.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 5.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

That didn't really help. Is there anyway to open my .prt files in ANSYS either directly or indirectly? Basically, I constructed a model using pro-Engineer, but would like to take advantage of ANSYS's FEA abilities (Pro-E is too limited in this sense).

I guess you don't have that module that reads in native MCAD files. Most CAE applications these days have the ability to read in native files from all the major MCAD packages. For example, MasterCAM X will read in native MCAD files for use within that application. They do not allow feature modification unless it's fully integrated.

So with that said, check your ANSYS software revision and maintainence contract.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 5.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

What about ABAQUS? I downloaded a plug-in called elysium that will supposedly allow me to save my parts in a neutral file format (.enf), but I haven't seen it work yet. It says it only works with wildfire 2.0 or earlier. What's the deal?

I had some luck a few years ago saving geometry in Pro E using as a .igs file and then loading that directly into ANSYS. This might be able to help. One thing to check once you've brought the model into ANSYS is that the you have volumes, occasionally only the surfaces came through and I had to manually create volumes from the surfaces, which is fairly straight forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back