Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting modal stiffnesses of normal FEM modes from I-DEAS 11?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCR9026

Aerospace
Dec 4, 2007
US
I've just started using the FEA capabilities of I-DEAS 11 NX to do normal mode analyses of plates. I'm proficient enough to set up the model, perform the normal mode analysis and output some N mode shapes to the .LIS file.

What I also need to do is print out the entries of the N-by-N modal stiffness matrix corresponding to the calculated modes, either as part of the .LIS file or otherwise. (Currently, the .LIS file only reports the stiffness matrix orthogonality ratios but not the entries themselves.) I feel like this should be a relatively simple task, but so far I've been unable to find any information in the online help documentation.

Thanks,
Nick

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Nick here again; I'm still stuck on how to get the modal stiffnesses. The most I look at it, the more it seems that I-DEAS doesn't have the capability to calculate modal stiffnesses (at least not with the Lanczos modal solver I'm using), but that can't be right, can it?

I'm not familiar with the NASTRAN solver in I-DEAS at all, but is there a way I could use NASTRAN to give me the modal stiffnesses? I started using the I-DEAS FEM because I've used MasterModeler for a while---I'd rather not learn a whole new program, but if that's what it takes, that's what I have to do.

My inability to do this seemingly-simple task has brought my work to a halt; any help anyone can give me would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back