Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting multiple sheet .dft files to Autocad

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricatNordic

Marine/Ocean
Aug 1, 2006
US
When I export a .dft file from V18 and open it in Acad 2000 one of two scenarios happens depending on if the export option "export to paper space" is checked. If it is, I get all the pages on my drawings and all dimensions and notes translated across into the correct layouts, but the views don't contain any of the part geometry, they are just empty boxes. If the box is unchecked it only exports the current page of my drawing, and sends it to model space but the page comes in with everything on it.

I've been putting up with this for months, but most drawings are at least 3 pages, and people keep wondering why it takes me so long to translate a drawing and email it.

What do I have to do get Solid Edge to export a multi-page drawing into a single .dwg/dxf with all the correct layouts in one step?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Eric,
As far as I know AutoCad does not support multi-sheet drawings, so each sheet within a SolidEdge draft file needs to be saved as a separate ACad file, which is probably why the SE SaveAs command only saves the current sheet to the file name you specify.
There is a batch routine to convert drafts to ACad that you can modified (if you know a bit of VB programming) so that it does each sheet and adds the sheet name on the end.
If not, maybe someone on this site may have a modified version.
The batch routine is
c:\Program Files\Solid Edge Vxx\Custom\Batch\Batch.exe

bc

bc,

In his post he mentioned checking "export to paper space" in the options dialog prior to using "save as" to convert it to autocad. I never payed attn to this option. But if you check that, it will convert the multiple sheets in a SE draft into multiple layouts in and autocad dwg/dxf.

As i said, i didn't know until this post, and it's something ive been wanting to do. so its great.

Now Eric,
I did the same.... "save as" to Acad LT 2000i. and all my views were translated correctly to paper space. Each actualt view being its own viewport in SE (some were 2D views and others were linked to a 3D part). And i could see them, when i clicked over to model space all of the view were there also arranged nice and clean. Take a look at modelspace, is there anything there?

My only problem is the jpeg i use for the company logo, and any excel spreadsheet that may have been in the SE draft DID NOT translate. This is my problem. And i feel your pain.

OPTIONS I HAS CHOOSEN

Solidworks 2005
Solid Edge V17

CADSkills, I think you are doing what I'm trying to. There's one box different in your options then in mine. I'll match them up exactly and try again. Thank you. If it still doesn't work I might ask you for your complete seacad file to use and see if it works. Does anyone know if the seacad file is interchangable between v17 and v18? Maybe it is a V18 bug.

This might sound nieve, but whats the batch routine?

-Eric

Eric,
The batch programme lets you convert different file types to/from Solid Edge and also print draft files.
It works on whole single files, selected files or whole directories.
If printing you need to set up your correct printing preferences first - and do a test on 1 or 2 files !!.
Just double-click the .exe file I gave in earlier post and have a look.
If you're processing a lot of files it will tie-up your PC, because each file is opened in Edge as it is processed.

bc

That batch routine is great I wish I'd known it was there months ago. Thanks!

How do you tell the batch routine which SEACAD file to use, or which print configuration if you're printing?

It still doesn't do the conversion to .dwg the way I need it to, where each "sheet" from a single .dft file goes to its own "layout" in a single .dwg. But it cool none the less.

CADSKILLS, can you post the SEACAD file you used? I matched everything from the picture and it still doesn't show the views, just an empty border.

Thanks,
Eric

Eric,

I've exported to dwg a 28-sheet dft file. I've set the export to paper space option, and it works for me. I get the 28 layouts in Acad, all the views are translated to 2d geometry in the model space, with the viewports on the layouts linked to them. Couple of things I don't like: the viewports borders are converted to layer 0 instead of a dedicated layer, and the dims are on the layout, instead of in the model space. I'll try playing with the convert options.

I'm on V18.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back