Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting P3 activities to Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniNan

Civil/Environmental
Apr 20, 2006
US
Can You export all the activities in a P3 schedule to an Excel spreadsheet. If so, what is the procedure?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Use the Project Tools - Export Option to send data out in DBF format. Excel will read this format.
Use the Content Tab to set up the fields you want.
On the Formet Tab - Select DBF as the file type.

It is still unable to export to Excel.

When I clicked on the "Run" tab in the window, it gave the option to View on screen, after which it created a Look file.

The Look file suggested that the dBASE file was generated into P3.DBF.

Are you using P3e or P3?
For P3e;- Asuming you have written a report to generate the required fields, when you click RUN you should have a splash that gives an option to "Send report to" four places, one of which is an ASCII text file. The defaults should be fine so just browse to where you want the file saving and select NEXT. The ASCII format file is readable by Excel and should be formatted in a very similar fashion to the on-screen report. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the advice. I successfully exported & imported the P3 data to and from a Excel Spreadsheet. However -

The changes that I made to the Excel Spreadsheet were not reflected when I imported back into P3. You see, I exported to DBF format from P3 and then opened the spreadsheet in Excel. When I pressed the "save" tab, the spreadsheet replied - "P3.DBF may contain features that are not compatible with DBF 4 (dBASE 4). Do you want to keep the workbook in this format?". I also tried out the 3 options that were provided

I am actually trying to Cost load my (2500 activity) schedule by entering values for the cells in the Budgeted Cost column (You have Act. ID, then Act. Descrip., then ES, EF, TF...etc...Budgeted Cost). That is why I'm trying to export to Excel, type in the cost load the activities in cells of the spreadsheet and import back into P3.

Please advise again! Thank you, you all have really been a great help!!

AniNan,
If you would like, I have some spreadsheets that perform some of the functions you are looking for. E-mail me at jengstrom@shimmick.com and I'll send the spreadsheet files. If anything, they can help with the macro writing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back