Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting point coordinates? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

slcad

Automotive
Nov 7, 2006
CA
Hi there,

Does anybody know of a way one can export the xyz coordinates of some points, ie in a text file or even excel? (I know Dassault provided that script to do the "reverse" thing, import the coordinates from an excel file and create the corresponding points in Catia).

Here's my scenario: I have a drawing where I need to call out check-points on the 3D part. These points are spread across more views. I want to end up with a table containing all the points and their xyz dimensions. I will place this table in the Background, not inside any view.

Now, there is a nice dimensioning command called "Coordinate Dimension Table", but it generates the table inside a view, and the point coordinates are non-associative... I was wondering if there is any way I can export my xyz values to an external file, and then import them back in my big table...

Any (other) workarounds?

Btw, working in C5.16, SP8, BN16

Best regards,
Stely

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You are right about the limitation. I think its coming from the limited rows in Excel worksheet.

I didn't try in WordPad with a big number of points.

Regards
Fernando

Excellent tip guys, thanks a lot! It is actually what I needed, it'll be for a max of 100 points, worstcase scenario.

Enjoy the stars :)

Best regards,
Stely

You are right about the limitation. I think its coming from the limited rows in Excel worksheet.

You are correct. I don't know if this will be an issue anymore when a 64-bit version of Excel is available. (I would hope not) Although, the problem at that point, will be if you ever need to run all those points. It will take forever to process them by script...

-----------------------------------------------------------
Catia Design|Catia Design News|Catia V5 blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back