Exporting REVIT model to ETABS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Usman3301

Civil/Environmental
Jul 11, 2019
CA
Hi there,
I needed some help with converting Revit model to Etabs for structural analysis. I have CSixrevit installed in Revit. When I import this model in ETABS, only columns and grids are shown. Anything else is not imported. Secondly, I tried importing IFC file of Revit model in Etabs, and although most of elements were imported, but the slabs orientation was sort of inclined in plan view.
Here's my REVIT model
revit_model_nhabap.png

Here's how gets imported in ETABS model
etabs_j6yo2x.png

It would be great if anyone can help me sort this out.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I like the colors in the Revit model. It looks... like it wouldn't wreck my eyes after staring at it for 8 hours.

You're probably trying to get this to work for bigger and better projects so my info might be moot. For a layout this simple most Engineers I worked with would just trace a CAD export using the exported DWG from the Revit model. It sucks but certain steps can be automated. It's easier to work with/clean up the file once it's in CAD.

Hard to say why walls are missing. There is a 'structural' check box on certain elements in Revit. CSIxRevit might require that to be checked in order for the element to import. It's been years since I've seen this in action so it's probably much improved compared to what I used to work with.

Revit analytical model and Etabs finite element model are modelled differently, CSIxRevit is good but converting from revit to etabs doesn't quite work. It could be programmed but very difficult to do.

rscassar said:
CSIxRevit is good but converting from revit to etabs doesn't quite work

Some time ago I know of an Engineer doing this. I'm NOT an engineer just to make that clear. This engineer did seem like the type that was often a little too carefree, but otherwise pretty competent. They didn't need any programming just an (expensive) Revit Plug-in. They most likely needed to clean up their model a bit after importing. I'm personally not a big fan of the computer-aided engineering (although it's obviously necessary for certain structures and the more expensive variants work great when used properly). One of my biggest concerns is companies like Autodesk marketing products that don't quite work. BIM programs are notorious for this. It's one thing when, say, a feature to automatically create stairs goofs up, but a structural analysis tool not quite working correctly...

Just asking to see your opinion on whether or not that was a bad idea. ETabs has actually come a long way since I last saw it (just browsed their site) so I'd guess that compatibility with Revit has also improved? But maybe not.

Beams and columns work well between software platforms, but getting your FEA elements to work correctly takes planning. If the models are created by a tech unfamiliar with the analysis end this will result in a lot of editing on your part. Personally, I would trace as suggested and move on. Another common issue is sloppy models. If they are not bound to exact coordinates you will have endless editing in ETABS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back