Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting Solid Works BOM to Excel 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

adn1975

Mechanical
Nov 3, 2006
US
using sw2007 sp3.0 i have been coping and pasting sw bom from bom contents to excel. Is there a way to directly export sw bom to excel?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

adn1975,

You can save the BOM out as a CSV or text file and import it into Excel. If you know API programming, you can write a routine (it may already be posted in the forum somewhere)and directly transfer it.

Regards,

Regg

regg thanks. right click on bom save as. i didn't see it. this forum is great!!! I've a SW user since 98 and i still pick up tips by browsing.

ADN1975,

You do not right click. You left click on the BOM then go to file-save as. Then make sure you change "save as file type" to .csv. Then save the file where ever you would like. One thing that I noticed. I am running 2006 sp4.0 and when I open the .csv file in excel the cells will not load properly if I have a comma in the fields. I imagine the comma tells Excel to move to the next cell because that is what happens to me. If I remove all commas I have no problems.

Take care

brian, in 2007 it is a RMC then save as. LMC does nothing. I found that saving as a text file then opening in excel, you do not have the comma issues.

ADN1975,

Since you are running SW 2007 you can save the BOM directly to an excel file by using the file save as ".xls" command. This puts all data in the proper place on the excel file and commas are accepted. Let me know if you have any questions.

Mike G.

jmg108,

Since I have a macro that does this, I did not know that you could now save BOM table as xls. Have a star.

Regards,

Regg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back