Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Expose variable - BOM variable precision - version 16 update 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbednarz

Mechanical
Jun 11, 2003
US
I installed v16 (and updated 5) last week. My incentive was to take advantage of the new feature/capability to expose variables as a non-geometric variable. This is useful for me because a lot of our BOMs include standard steel cut to length.

A problem that has shown up is that the variable within the part showns up with a precision of about 10-12 decimal places and it is text. When chosen to present it as a column in the draft file's BOM the precision remains at 10-12 decimal places.

How do I make Solid Edge reduce the precision of the exposed variable to 2 decimal places? My feeling is that it is somewhere between the part level where the text-based custom property is generated and the variable is exposed.

I have presented this problem to someone at the Solid Edge GTAC hotline, and he stated that there database suggests that the problem was fixed in v16 update 2. The problem seemed to either resurface again, or he and I could not find where to adjust the precision.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

You can change the precision in the File properties of your 3D file : File/File properties/Units. The drawback is that the display of distances will always have that many decimals (except dimensions which depend on styles).

When you save again, the number of decimals will be updated in your custom properties and your parts list (BOM).

As an alterbnative, you can create user variables in the variable table and by formula make them equal to your measures. Then specify in the droplist that these new variables are scalar and expose these ones instead. Finally, in File/File properties/Advanced units, you can choose the precision for scalar variables.

I am pretty sure that other users have asked UGS to make this even more user friendly. You should call them again and try to be added to an existing enhancement request. The description must be something like "add option to choose how many decimals are transfered when exposing" or "add possibility to expose as a number instead of text and give the option to choose the number of decimals".

HTH

Fred

Unfortunately I can not seem to get this to work.

I did the following.

Opened the draft file containing the BOM.
In Place Activated the assembly by double clicking the draft view.
In Place Activated the part to adjust precision.
Menu: File>File Properties>Units; Made sure the precision for length was set to 2 decimal places.
Menu: Tools>Variables>Variable Table; Selected the exposed variable and made sure the units were set to Distance.
Saved and closed part and assembly to return to draft file.
Updated all views.

No change. I also tried:

In Place Activated the assembly by double clicking the draft view.
In Place Activated the part to adjust precision.
Menu: File>File Properties>Advanced Units; Made sure the precision for scalar was set to 2 decimal places.
Menu: Tools>Variables>Variable Table; Selected the exposed variable and made sure the units were set to Scalar.
Saved and closed part and assembly to return to draft file.
Updated all views.

New computer viruses? That could be nice.

Hi,

I just tried and you are right, it's doing the same thing on my computer. You should call UGS about that b/c what I described used to work in previous updates.

Fred

Is this issue solved yet?

Because I'm in the same position as others described before.

It would be very usefull if the units would appear in the same manner that you put it in the file properties, unless they do something this feature isn't really practical as it is right now.

Thanks

Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back