Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extending a glulam beam by splicing another on it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave169

Mechanical
Aug 10, 2005
US
Is it possible to extend a glulam beam (5.125" x 12") approximately 40" by splicing another glulam beam next to it?

I assume the overlap needs to accommodate a bolt pattern to withstand bending and shear stresses. Are there other factors to be considered?

A contractor put to short of beam in and it can be easily extended by splicing another on it. It cannot be replaced easily with a new beam and this is why a splice is being considered?

Thanks for your help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Add a column or replace the beam. If the beam is short by 40", more than likely the glulam mfg. will not assume any liability if the beam is extended. I work for a glulam wholesaler, and speaking from experience I don't ever think we would give some one permission to do what you are talking about doing.

We just completed a glulam repair project in which the beams projected from the interior to the exterior of the building envelope supporting the balconies. The exterior portion were completely consumed and had to be cut-off at the building wall. We used a steel shoe, 1/8" thick extending 24 inches each side of the splice. Worked just find and in that regard, the beam stays in the same plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back