Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extending USB cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmh265

Mechanical
May 6, 2004
AU
I am trying to extend a usb cable link approx 20m and I understand this may not possible with just a normal usb cable, that boosters should be used. Is this correct and does anyone know of a good brand of usb cable booster?

Thankyou

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm think the length limit is due to timing requirements in USB communication. A 30ns propegation delay is allowed (I think, its been a while). I learn't this stuff in 3rd year of uni, and we only covered USB 1.0 and 1.1, 2.0 hadn't become common yet. So I could be wrong.

Yes I think that you are going to have a problem extending the USB cable that far. Perhaps the instrument or whatever you are trying to communicate with can use GPIB instead of USB? It's slower, but it can go a lot farther, and you can have many instrument in the same GPIB chain.

Just note that the boosters don't work like a standard 2-way USB due to the timing issues discussed - they work like 2 separate 1-way serial busses, so for most USB 2 devices your 2-way communication will slow down dramatically

Good Luck
johnwm

UK steam enthusiasts:

I use a usb extension core to about 30 to 35 ft with a video camera using to Two different computers, any further then I lost the signal there was a differnce of 5 ft between computers used, I think it was due to voltage drop between the camera and the computer not the video db lost since I used the same cables. Anyway I a use a USB booster I found at fry's electronics and a could go at least 30 more feet. I did not go any further because I was using it to monitor the front door from my office in the rear and that length did the trick.

You need to go to They have the world's only "approved" USB extension technology that works for both USB1.1 AND USB2.0 and can extend proper USB signals 330 feet over standard Cat5 or, 2km over fiber. They have USB Rovers (the least expensive), USB Rangers and have several OEMs who embed their ExtremeUSB technology into their own products. I've heard they work extremely well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back