Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extension spring question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolDude003

Mechanical
Apr 11, 2012
US
Is it possible for an extension spring to be 20 inches long while unloaded, 32 or so inches long fully extended(12" max displacement), and have an initial load of 30-40 lbs? All other properties are virtually not important. If so, where could I buy them?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Initial load is the load required to initiate the spring to extend. The load when the spring is extended by an 1 or less would be cool too.

might want to look into "garage door" springs... very large extension springs.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Pretty good with SolidWorks

You have too many options for a closed solution set.

I would expect this to have a minimum core diameter, or perhaps maximum OD with spring wire diameter? What about material? If the extension is a foot, what sort of load is required given a preload of 40 lbf?

Regards,
Cockroach

I think you will have to get that initial tension down to get a 20 inch spring.
Get a copy of Machinery Handbook and look a t their excellent spring design section.

I took a peak and can tell you you re talking about 250 turns of 0.1055 dia wire with an outside dia of .533 inches ( very low index) with minimal initial tension, 100,000 psi at max extension.

If you can not find an off the shelf spring then you will need to custom design one. The problem I see with such a spring is the number of cycles of the 12" deflection. If it is a spring for a static application then such as spring can be designed. For cyclic application, much work needs to be done to see if such a design can be designed.

I've had good luck with Century Springs out of California over the years. With a 30-40lb initial load, you might consider using multiple springs (2x 15lb, or 3x 10lb springs). If you are considering custom springs, you might want to investigate a custom Drawbar spring in this instance, especially if these are going to be horizontally mounting.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of these Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back