Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Externally Mounted Windshield Wiper Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry767

Mechanical
Sep 8, 2004
CA
I'm designing a new cab for a piece of construction equipment. I need to find a windshield wiper motor which can mount completely outside of the cab with no protrusions through the cab wall. I cannot find anything that has been specifically designed for this configuration. Every motor I have ever seen is designed to be mounted on the inside of the glass with the shaft protruding through the glass, firewall, or frame and the wipers connected to the shaft much like everyone would have on their cars. Can anyone point me in the direction of someone who manufactures what I'm looking for?

Larry Jorgenson, P.Eng (Mechanical - U of S, 1994)
Prairie Agricultural Machinery Institute (PAMI)
Humboldt, SK Canada

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Larry767...this approach was common on older tractor-trailer rigs. There are probably still some of those around. They were common to most of the major tractors such as Kenworth, Peterbuilt, Mack, International Harvester, Freightliner, etc.

You might call one of those manufacturers and see who their OEM was.

Never did have any luck. I have resigned to just getting a regular wiper motor (possibly from Cleveland Ignition), packaging in as small an enclosure as I can find, and mounting that on the outside of my cab. The challenge is going to be to get the box mounted such that the wiper will contact the glass and do it's job. Any ideas?

Humboldt, SK Canada

Er, did you not select a system with separate wiper boxes?
The Mini system is easily adapted and popular with Kit Car makers because the spiral wound drive mechanism is slid to and fro inside a set of tubes that can be connected to your enclosure with a grommet.

JMW

jmw, not sure what you mean so could you please elaborate?

hacksaw: waterproof motor that I can bracket mount would be good. Needs to be durable so "cheap" would not be a requirement necessarily but not looking for any too ridiculously expensive.

Humboldt, SK Canada

Part 11 is a tube through which the flexible drive rod runs. This has a spiral winding which engages with the gears in the wiper boxes.
The motor could be mounted inside a suitable enclosure and the tube enter via a grommet.
This is one approach but I'd guess any similar system would work but offhand I don't know of another system where you have a flexible drive system.
Oh, there is a cable version here:

If you have rigid arms then I see you may have a problem.

JMW

Thanks jmw. Will have to look at this more but at first glance it looks more complicated than we need.

Humboldt, SK Canada

AFI makes a marine wiper. The deck mount units are for mounting inside the cockpit, the others are for outside, however, now you have to sort out the geometry. The electrics are water proof, but nothing like the old style wiper motors for open cockpit boats, with the motor on the outside

there are more professional types (ocean going) such as
less expensive

Did some googling and got some stuff as shown below.

Seems you might have some luck with windshield motors for small boats.

Can anyone think of vans or station wagons that have windshield wipers for the back windows?

Anyway – here are some sites

see item half way down the page

See the “block” mounted on the windshield – midpage.

Ps. I am in "The Pas" MB -next door to Sask. - small world.

Hey amorrison,

Yah, I've been all over those boat motors. They still mount on the "inside" surface of the window with the shaft poking through the frame to the outside where the wiper connects - same as in any other type of installation. They're waterproof because of course the boats they're used on are typically open to the elements.

That kubota picture is interesting but I can't find any more info on it and I have no Kubota dealer close by to run and look (I don't think).

hacksaw: That french site has just what the doctor ordered in a linear system. I've sent them an email so I'll post back if I get anywhere.

Thanks all,

Larry

Humboldt, SK Canada

All of the farm implement "rear windshield wipers" still have the motor mounted on the inside of the glass with the shaft through a hole in the glass to the outside wiper. Have yet to find a true externally mounted wiper motor system (except for the linear one that seimi in France apparently has).

Humboldt, SK Canada

The old Toyota Landcruisers had an externally mounted wiper motor but it's in a sealed metal enclosure with a drip/drain hole in the bottom. If Landcruiser's had/have it, I would suspect some Jeeps to have a similar setup as well.

OUCH! Seimi wants almost CAD$5000 for a linear wiper to fit my window. They recommended a pantograph style (see attached) but even that would be over CAD$1500! Really the only thing that makes this unique is that the wiper arm seems to be mounted the opposite way on the shaft. Most wiper arms I've seen have built in springs which want to pull the wiper in towards the windshield. If I could find one that would mount the other way on the motor shaft I would need the spring pressure to be pushing away from the motor. Has anyone seen a pantograph type arm that would mount this way?

Humboldt, SK Canada
www.pami.ca

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=77d65e6b-e7b4-4bfa-a2c0-90531043e4ba&file=Motor_type_MEX_eng.pdf
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back