Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extinguisher Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svorek

Aug 18, 2014
FR
Hi,

I would like to replace an extinguisher in an ATR42.

There is a Water Extinguisher, certified for Class A fire, and a Halon Extinguisher, certified for Class B and C fire.

My customer wants to have two Halon Extinguisher, certified for Class B and C fire.

The JAR25.851 says that :
We must have at least 2 extinguishers (it's ok), and at least 1 Halon Extinguisher. The other Extinguisher may be choosen in accordance with kind of fires likely to occur where used.

· Class A: Fires involving ordinary combustible materials, such as wood, cloth, paper, rubber and plastics;
· Class B: Fires involving flammable liquids, petroleum oils, greases, tars, oil base paints, lacquers, solvents, alcohols and flammable gases;
· Class C: Fires involving energised electrical equipment where the use of an extinguishing agent that is electrically nonconductive is important.

As the extinguisher if for passenger cabin, I think a Class A is required for luggages.

Has someone already met this kind of problem ?
Is a Class A extinguisher mandatory ?

Thank you,

Regards.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

?? And are all your seats, carry ons, carpets, etc. not Class A materials?

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
There is a homework forum hosted by engineering.com:

As all items installed are Far25.853 certified, is it necessary to take account of them ?
I really don't know. Excuse me if my questions seems "stupid"

Svorek

Assume You are asking about aircraft cabin hand-portable fire extinguishers... NOT remote operating FEs, such as for baggage or engine compartment fire supression?

Are You familiar with...

NFPA 408 Standard for Aircraft Hand Portable Fire Extinguishers

SAE ARP997 Installation and Stowage Provisions for Emergency Equipment in the Transport Airraft Passenger Cabin

SAE ARP4712 Hand-held Cabin Fire Extinguishers - Transport Aircraft

SAE AS245 Water Solution Type Hand Fire Extinguisher

SAE AS6271 Halocarbon Clean Agent Hand-Held Fire Extinguisher

FAA AC 20-42 Hand Fire Extinguishers for use in Aircraft

FAA AC 150/5210-6 Aircraft Fire Extinguishing Agents

Regards, Wil Taylor

o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true.
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible.
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion"]
o Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. [Picasso]

Yes, I effectively speak about hand portable extinguishers, for passenger cabin.

And I have to admit that unfortunately, I'm not familiar with these documentations.

I will have to them.

The FAR part 25 regs covering the fire extinguishing equipment in the passenger cabin vary based on the number of passengers. I believe the ATR42 with fewer than 60 passengers would require at least two hand-held fire extinguishers, one in the cabin and one in the cockpit, and at least one needs to be Halon 1211. But I believe both can be Halon 1211.

The reason for having a Halon 1211 extinguisher is because the gas is non-conductive and safe for use with electrical equipment fires (Class C), which would seem to be the most likely type of fire experienced in a cabin or cockpit. Halon 1211 is also fairly safe to use in an enclosed space around passengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back