Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extra faces after core operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlbud

Mechanical
Mar 7, 2005
US
When I create a mold cavity and then extract out a corepin using the core function, I end up with separate faces at the area where the core is extracted from the steel and the area where the core is part of the mold cavity. This shows up on the drawing as a line that is misleading because it doesn't represent any change in the geometry of the pin surface. I can delete, extend, knit and form a solid to remove this line, but is there something else that I could be doing to eliminate this?

Thanks,
Dell M70
SW 2007 SP1.0

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If those are just surfaces, you should be able to hide the surfaces in the part--since I think SW generates surfaces to shut off some surfaces from others to discern between solid bodies in such operations.

Do you have the right number of solid bodies in your Solid Bodies folder? Make sure you don't have a thin slice of your core/cavity from the core-out feature.

The only other thing I can think of is that this is from a difference of shrink rate applied to various pieces of the mold--perhaps double-check that. When I do this sort of thing, I add my shrink rate to my part instead of the cavity feature--easier to keep track of things and avoid mistakes that way.

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe trumps reason.

Thanks for the reply Jeff.
I don't get surfaces, just faces and the only option I can see is to delete the face not to hide it.

There are no extra solid bodies, but I have run into that before.

I apply my shrink to the part as well and use the combine (subtract) feature in a multibody part file to remove the cavity (part) from the cavity block.
Carl

That's odd. I've not done a core/cavity operation for about a year now, so I'm a bit rusty with my memory of such faces. Do they happen to be represented in the Core folder (or whatever it's called)? I remember a folder and set of surfaces is created by SW when this tooling operation is used--something similar (or maybe the same as--rusty memory) to the shut-off surfaces created to distinguish between mold halves. It seems more faces were created for the various pulls as well. Maybe worth looking around in folders, just in case--I think it's something that can be hidden only by right-clicking the surface body within one of these folders if I'm remembering correctly.

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe trumps reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back