Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Extra long end mill

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaizad

Mechanical
Dec 9, 2004
US
I am looking for a HSS square end mill, 1 in. dia with 12" length of cut (minimum); number of flutes is not critical. I need it very quickly so if there is something off the shelf that would be ideal. Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Good luck finding that.. Would a 2" diameter work? Typically 6" is the longest you will get in a 1" end mill.
I bet tool deflection is your worst enemy.

What is it you are trying to do with the cutter? Using one that you have described is totally impractical for use as an endmill, I suspect you've got some other use for it in mind. A good tool shop would be able to make whatever you need.

Would be helpful to know what is being done.
Does the "cutter" need to cut the entire length?
If so, I agree with mcgyvr...tool deflection and chatter will be a bear.

If you're only concerned with making a cut at or near the bottom of a recess with minimal side contact; or a c'bore operation, then a standard end mill can be extended for that reach, however, you're still going to have chatter and tool deflection if the side cut is substantial.
We've silver-soldered such home-made tooling in the past to get down into a pocket.....some were nothing more than an endmill with a reduced shank joined to a solid shaft of good material such as 4140 or some other tool steel.
Have you looked at off-the-shelf counterbore tools that may be adapted to your needs?

9 times out of 10 its reach you need, rather than length of cut, as this length of cut it would have to be a special tool and it would suffer badly with deflection. I suggest you look at making your own shrink-fit extension with a 2xd flute length.

I really think this is the 1 out of 10 as he is asking for a 12" length of cut.
I bet his machinist said.. "you designed it, you find the darn end mill"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back